What Have You Done That Has >"TOTALLY CHANGED"< Your Home?

/ What Have You Done That Has >"TOTALLY CHANGED"< Your Home? #51  
Added a third stall with a taller door. Now my BX24 and all the implements have a home of their own. Before the third stall I had to remove loader or any rear implements to fit it in. It is so nice at the end of the day to just drive in and walk away.

Doug in SW IA

/ What Have You Done That Has >"TOTALLY CHANGED"< Your Home?
I built the house on my own... The Second Wife asked me to make it a home, she would like, and eradicate a great deal of the prior work. Working the best I can. Way too many changes, to the original ideas I had, and still working on my original ideas, that don't work for her. Marriage is a hard thing to work out some times, if you think you have some sort of art you want to express. And if it is important, to one party, it should be important to both.
I worked with a guy that built a home on Smith Mountain Lake, near Roanoke VA.

His wife DEMANDED that the home be built without a kitchen!! (She HATED cooking)
It seems in the last 10 years, they had not cooked one meal at home.

They ate out, every night on the way home, (both worked)

He ended up having to redesign the family room so that part of it could be upgraded to a kitchen if they ever sold the home,,
The house was completed, no kitchen,,,

/ What Have You Done That Has >"TOTALLY CHANGED"< Your Home? #53  
Replace all of the 35 yo windows with double insulated, easier to clean.

/ What Have You Done That Has >"TOTALLY CHANGED"< Your Home? #54  
I worked with a guy that built a home on Smith Mountain Lake, near Roanoke VA.

His wife DEMANDED that the home be built without a kitchen!! (She HATED cooking)

They ate out, every night on the way home, (both worked)

He ended up having to redesign the family room so that part of it could be upgraded to a kitchen if they ever sold the home,,
The house was completed, no kitchen,,,
40 yrs ago you looked for a wife that could cook. I would have told my wife to pound sand if she wanted a house without a kitchen.

/ What Have You Done That Has >"TOTALLY CHANGED"< Your Home? #55  
I started a thread in 2006 here on TBN about a remodel. That was one year into working on the property already.

Nothing about this place is exactly the same as when it was purchased. Nothing. And I just finished opening our front porch this year to the original layout and style.

Two big projects remain, rebuild the kitchen from the floor joists up, and finishing off an out-building to use as guest quarters.

My next place will definitely be turn-key.

/ What Have You Done That Has >"TOTALLY CHANGED"< Your Home? #56  
40 yrs ago you looked for a wife that could cook. I would have told my wife to pound sand if she wanted a house without a kitchen.
I would have done the same. Then again, I didn't get married until I was in my 30s so I've done my own cooking ever since I've been on my own. Even now I do probably 75% of the cooking.
Dishes, not so much. :ROFLMAO:

I can't imagine eating out every meal.

/ What Have You Done That Has >"TOTALLY CHANGED"< Your Home? #57  
....His wife DEMANDED that the home be built without a kitchen!! (She HATED cooking)

They ate out, every night on the way home, (both worked)..

Where did they park the refrigerator, in the living room?

/ What Have You Done That Has >"TOTALLY CHANGED"< Your Home?
Where did they park the refrigerator, in the living room?

The only refrig they needed was the mini one that was located behind the built-in bar,,
The home was on the lake, so a bar was all you needed for entertaining,,

If you consume enough alcohol, no food is needed,,
if the visitors want food, they can bring an Horderve tray,,

/ What Have You Done That Has >"TOTALLY CHANGED"< Your Home? #59  
I don't think this really qualifies as a DYI but we added a 450 acre lake to the rear of our property courtesy of the local county who built a reservoir there. That was a life changer! Who says they don't make new waterfront property?

The DW and I did add the garagemahall a few years ago; 36x36 three bays. I had the foundation put in and the floor poured and then we did the rest with the help of a couple of friends to get the trusses set and the roof ply on. My wife is a worker and she knows her way around a building site. We started framing on a Monday morning and had it under roof with the paper on the following Sunday. I did have someone do the drywall and the siding.
For a second I thought you were my former boss. His initials are MAW and that’s what we called him, Maw. His grand garage for his car collection was dubbed the garageMAWhall.
:)

/ What Have You Done That Has >"TOTALLY CHANGED"< Your Home? #60  
The only refrig they needed was the mini one that was located behind the built-in bar,,
The home was on the lake, so a bar was all you needed for entertaining,,

If you consume enough alcohol, no food is needed,,
if the visitors want food, they can bring an Horderve tray,,
There's something to be said for that... :)