What have you hit with your mower lately?

/ What have you hit with your mower lately? #1  

friendlywithbears

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060, KX057-5
Yesterday after a day of mowing some pretty gnarly trails with the brush hog, I noticed a spot on the way home that I had missed. No problem, popped the PTO on and backed into it. I immediately caught something so big it stopped the tractor dead. Thankfully I had just slipped my clutch the day before, or I can't imagine...

The culprit was a big fat wad of old rusty logging winch cable hiding so well I couldn't see it when walking around. New set of blades are pretty wrecked from it, I'm still cursing today!

/ What have you hit with your mower lately? #2  
I have just repaired my flail mower after it hit a low stump and bent the main shaft. Normally the hammers would jump the stump but I had just sharpened them and 1 hammer dug into the stump like an axe. A new shaft cost me about $1100 so it was a costly lesson. The mower is only about 4 years old. After that I drove around the paddocks and put a stake in beside every stump I could find. I knew the stump was there but forgot about it as it was under the long grass. I also replaced the bearings and got a new set of hammers to have on hand so all up it was close to $1800.

/ What have you hit with your mower lately? #3  
I feel your pain but I can't best it.

I'm still doing my summer brush hogging and I turn dozens of big rocks hiding in the brush into smaller rocks in the process.

The blades on my 10-footer hold up better than I expect, but I do have to replace them when they get bent.

I'm almost finished until my fall cutting.

/ What have you hit with your mower lately? #4  
I just trashed a blade on my 72" zero turn. Clipped some decorative river rocks... twice.
Not that big of a deal, but I'm very particular about keeping my blades neatly sharpened.

/ What have you hit with your mower lately?
I feel your pain but I can't best it.

I'm still doing my summer brush hogging and I turn dozens of big rocks hiding in the brush into smaller rocks in the process.

The blades on my 10-footer hold up better than I expect, but I do have to replace them when they get bent.

I'm almost finished until my fall cutting.
Sometimes I feel like what I'm mowing is more rock than grass...

/ What have you hit with your mower lately? #6  
grass ... repeatedly

/ What have you hit with your mower lately? #8  
Have hit small rocks, big rocks, huge rocks, old house ruins, stumps, big logs, old steel bed frames, thick rebar, concrete blocks, random pieces of steel, stoves, fencing net. The list goes on and on beyond what I can remember.

Popped a couple shear pins with some of the hardest hits, but I typically just wear them out with all the beating it takes.

Still rocking the original "blades" that came with the mower and didn't even got bent once. :)

IMG_20220425_122859.jpg

/ What have you hit with your mower lately? #9  
Have hit small rocks, big rocks, huge rocks, old house ruins, stumps, big logs, old steel bed frames, thick rebar, concrete blocks, random pieces of steel, stoves, fencing net. The list goes on and on beyond what I can remember.

Popped a couple shear pins with some of the hardest hits, but I typically just wear them out with all the beating it takes.

Still rocking the original "blades" that came with the mower and didn't even got bent once. :)

View attachment 755797

That is an interesting brush cutter. I can’t recall ever seeing one that cut with chain. What brand is it?

/ What have you hit with your mower lately?

View attachment 755797
Was going to ask if you sharpen them ever, but then did the double take :love: