Tractor Sizing What horsepower and or weight tractor is enough

/ What horsepower and or weight tractor is enough #1  

scratchpad

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 2705E
Back in the market. Have 8 acres of uneven and some areas rough hard as **** dirt. Discing, ripping, scraping, leveling out a few areas and moving dirt around. Building some width to an existing driveway among other small farming stuff.

Not sure how much tractor I知 gonna need. Don稚 want to go too small and beat the thing to death. Ive seen lighter weight compacts with higher horsepower and heavier weights with less hp. I致e got access where I知 located to pretty much all brands and have looked at several but I知 stuck.

/ What horsepower and or weight tractor is enough #2  
I have ten acres and run a five foot rotary mower behind my Kubota L2501. I think it's a good match for power and weight for me. I specifically did not go above 25 horsepower strictly to eliminate the DPF and regeneration thing. My L2501 doesn't even have a computer. I love it!! Simpler is better for me.

/ What horsepower and or weight tractor is enough #3  
High weight helps most with pushing and pulling things. High horsepower helps most with powered implements working fast and hard.

Which type of work is the main use?

Bruce

/ What horsepower and or weight tractor is enough #4  
If I needed a tractor to do a lot of ground engaging work, I'd look for something that's at least 5-6,000 lbs. I'm not sure of your budget, or if you want to buy new or used, but weight would be the constant with any choice.

Last edited:
   / What horsepower and or weight tractor is enough
I’ve looked at the l2501 3301 and 3901 which are all the same chassis as I understand. While I’m not sure, that size seems small based on looking at my property and what I need to do.

Discing, ripping, and leveling moving dirt around will be the most use until it’s maintainable. Rototilling some smaller areas and of course lots of mowing.

For Kubota the next weight size up is the l4701
Yanmar 35hp is a larger heavier tractor
Massey’s 1739 and 1735M are bigger heavier tractors
I rented a kioti 35 and iirc that was a bigger chassis
Havnt even really bother with the expensive paint tractors

/ What horsepower and or weight tractor is enough #6  
I've read that Mahindra is the most weight per dollar.

Bruce

/ What horsepower and or weight tractor is enough #7  
A lot of it depends on what you want to spend. Someone mentioned a L2501. I own a JD2025R. Same HP as the Kubota L2501 but the Kubota is a bigger heavier tractor and would do more work than mine. You mentioned you haven't looked at the expensive paint yet. I'd say if you are looking at Kubota you are looking at expensive paint already.

Another thing to consider is long term use. Could you rent a skid steer for a few days and get the heavy work done and then get by with a smaller tractor?

/ What horsepower and or weight tractor is enough #8  
I've heard kioti are heavy tractors compared to the comparable models in other brands. Heard good things about them on here as well. I've also heard Branson/TYM are heavy.

For the dirt work you're describing, weight is going to be more important than HP I would think. Nothing like scooping up a load of dirt and your back tires coming off the ground, even with counter weight, so get all the weight your wallet can stand.

The grand L series from Kubota are really heavy compared to the standard L as well. But pricey.

/ What horsepower and or weight tractor is enough
The local Mahindra dealer wants an arm and a leg for the mid 30’s hp. Same with the kiotis here. 26-28 thousand w/loader
Same with the local JD. they want top dollar around 25k for the mid 25’s rentals with 100 + hrs which I can get much more tractor and new in the Massey and local Kubota for that. Another local Kubota Dealer wants mid 20s for the small 25’s rentals. Seems like pricing is all over the map. Depends on the salesman or dealer. Most wont budge or deal on pricing with tractors I’ve noticed.
I’m not opposed to any color. I’m most definitely not gonna pay $4000 plus when I can hop and skip 15 miles away and get more for my money. For example a 1739e can be had for around 18-19k otd w/loader
I can absolutely rent a skid steer , loader and mini ex which I probably will do in the near future

/ What horsepower and or weight tractor is enough #10  
I will toss in the Kubota L3560. Used it dig, move dirt, clear brush, level areas, and mow.

Resized_20190810_094138.jpg
Resized_20190824_150334.jpeg
Resized_20190921_102427.jpeg
Resized_20191123_132116.jpeg