What is a good small 4x4 pickup?

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup? #191  
I have had part time and AWD vehicles for the past twenty something years so I am not a hater. Audi 5000, 1989 Nissan Pathfinder, 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, another pathfinder, Mercedes ML320 and a Mazda CX-9. Hardly a hater.

My point is that it is the simple contact point with pavement or ice that is the limiting factor in stopping.

Hater,
My Baja has 4 wheel anti-lock disk brakes, viscous center coupler, viscous positive traction in the rear, inter-cooled turbo....jet (yeah, that's it) engine with thrust vectoring (yeah, that's it) with built in avalanche lockout, automatic grappling hook ejection and retraction.

Due to lack of snowfall, our snow banks need a bailout, but if you see me in one, I am there to bail YOU out. :D

Just kidding about the hater part. If we got enough snow and ice for me to develop much skill, I wouldn't need a Subaru ever, but in reality, I don't need it. I bought it because I have had Subarus for many many years, and they finally came up with the exact combination that I have always wanted...but I do wish it had a high/low range transmission like the old GL wagons. It has power enough for it not to matter. But reverse is fast for backing a trailer, and I can see a man wearing out the clutch early due to that.

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup? #192  
Hater,
My Baja has 4 wheel anti-lock disk brakes, viscous center coupler, viscous positive traction in the rear, inter-cooled turbo....jet (yeah, that's it) engine with thrust vectoring (yeah, that's it) with built in avalanche lockout, automatic grappling hook ejection and retraction.

Due to lack of snowfall, our snow banks need a bailout, but if you see me in one, I am there to bail YOU out. :D

Just kidding about the hater part. If we got enough snow and ice for me to develop much skill, I wouldn't need a Subaru ever, but in reality, I don't need it. I bought it because I have had Subarus for many many years, and they finally came up with the exact combination that I have always wanted...but I do wish it had a high/low range transmission like the old GL wagons. It has power enough for it not to matter. But reverse is fast for backing a trailer, and I can see a man wearing out the clutch early due to that.
You reminded me that I left my 1998 Subaru Outback off my list of AWD vehicles owned. I always liked the Baja. Tried to convince a girlfriend to buy one back in '79.

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup? #194  
You reminded me that I left my 1998 Subaru Outback off my list of AWD vehicles owned. I always liked the Baja. Tried to convince a girlfriend to buy one back in '79.

Ahh the Brat. I liked those, and that would have the 2 range transmission. In low, first gear, it really crawls slow. It had either the 1600 cc or the 1800 cc, and I worked on many of the Subarus of that vintage. The spare tire was under the hood right behind the engine. The suspension was manually adjustable with wrenches. The Baja is sort of an updated Brat with a far more powerful engine, and I am sure it is heavier..it feels heavier.

Many of my decisions over the years have been based on what will haul a canoe or kayak on top, yet carry lots of gear. Now, I only go kayaking once a year, but it is still sort of a big deal to me, so I make sure I have a vehicle that is well suited for that. My Baja has 4 doors and a bed in back, but even so, it was stuffed to the gills for my annual trip a couple of weeks ago.

But the time I put in the tent, sleeping mat, pillow, chair, wet suit, life jacket, boat gear, coolers, fly rod and bait cast and all that jazz...it is stuffed. I have stopped bringing a banjo or guitar...no room.

My buddy took his Outback, and it was stuffed, even with the cargo carrier on top. Another friend, his F150 barely hauled all of his stuff. But honestly, we are not "roughing it." To the contrary, we are attempting to live better in the mountains than we live all year long in the Piedmont. I am along for the ride on some of this behavior, but filet mignon one night, Boston butt the next, the trout we caught fixed 4 ways the next...those guys know how to cook, and like trying to play chef, and like to eat good food.

Incidentally, we had a discussion about the best vehicle for that type of duty. One of mine from years ago was runner-up, a diesel Suburban. But the hands down best vehicle for that style of trip was <drum roll>

Buick RoadMaster Station wagon. That thing had air ride suspension, and held the same profile regardless of loading. It had an engine reputed to have been also used in the Corvette. And if the seats are down, it actually hauls more than the F150 since the walls are higher than the bed walls of the truck. I just checked, and those can be had for $1800 or there about, and if a man has a family, it is hard to see how it could be beat. Heck, a canoe will extend over the windshield only a bit, and barely extend past the back bumper of the car. That was a fabulous car, and my buddy was griping toward the end.."I wish I had the Roadmaster because it really is" (master of the road.) He still has it, but he retired it...but I think that trip taught him something; he is going to dust off the Roadmaster.

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup? #195  
Incidentally, we had a discussion about the best vehicle for that type of duty. One of mine from years ago was runner-up, a diesel Suburban. But the hands down best vehicle for that style of trip was <drum roll>

Buick RoadMaster Station wagon. That thing had air ride suspension, and held the same profile regardless of loading. It had an engine reputed to have been also used in the Corvette. And if the seats are down, it actually hauls more than the F150 since the walls are higher than the bed walls of the truck. I just checked, and those can be had for $1800 or there about, and if a man has a family, it is hard to see how it could be beat. Heck, a canoe will extend over the windshield only a bit, and barely extend past the back bumper of the car. That was a fabulous car, and my buddy was griping toward the end.."I wish I had the Roadmaster because it really is" (master of the road.) He still has it, but he retired it...but I think that trip taught him something; he is going to dust off the Roadmaster.

The Ford "Country Squire" or the Mercury "Colony Park" would probably be similar.

Aaron Z

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup? #196  
4) I got almost nothing on Nissan, etc...small trucks. Pretty much I will ONLY buy a Ranger or Taco unless the deal is simply too good to pass up. Most likely a Ranger due to availablilty and my personal preferences...
Do you mean the Ranger and Tacoma are bigger than what you want, you dislike them, or you are leaning toward the Civic / commuter car?

I really don't think the Nissan P/Us and SUVs are worth anything. I'm surprised Nissan is still in business. They aren't terrible but the competing vehicles are head-and-shoulders better and the Nissans aren't really cheaper (new.) Used, who knows, maybe you will find a good Frontier for cheap. My $0.02.

Please expound on this. How can AWD or FWD provide better braking than 4 wheel ABS?
I read the excellent post on this. It's nice to know why my ABS makes braking on my gravel driveway so aggravating. Mine seems to do it in both 2WD and 4AUTO. Too bad there isn't a "gravel mode" for the brakes. :-/

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup? #197  
The Ford "Country Squire" or the Mercury "Colony Park" would probably be similar.

Aaron Z
I had a huge Olds Custom Cruiser (1970 something) with the retracting clamshell tailgate. Awesome! We called it Das Boot. Probably a cousin to the Roadmaster.

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup? #198  
How about a Samurai samurai2.jpgsamurai1.jpg found this one with a Kubota diesel

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup? #199  
Here is a statement from a 4x4 website on the subject of braking in snow: http://www.4x4abc.com/jeep101/safe.html

Good stuff. Interesting recommendation of chains at bottom of that page. Two winters ago I got stranded in my Element on my farm (along with a full sized 4x4 pickup). We were as helpless as babies. Steep gravel plus ice/snow equaled trapped. The next morning after a few phone calls I figured out the only thing that was going to get us out was a tractor with chains, a tracked vehicle, or percherons. That afternoon I remembered that my neighbor had snow chains for his Element (actually snow cables). So I gave them a try and the Element climbed out of snowmageddon and carved a path the truck could follow. I promptly went and bought my own chains. It is amazing what chains can do. And for what they can do, cheeeeeeep. I now also have a rear set for the Kubota. Didn't get to even install them this year, no winter!

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup?
Hater,

Now I know why they are so expensive! Best deal I could find was $10K in SC for a 2003.

Good Grief, last July CarMax only gave me $5k for a smoking 2005 Jaguar Sport Wagon AWD with a 104k miles on it...

I'm back to the El Cheapo camp and the Baja just got crossed off the list... :(

David