What is best way to cross a ditch?

/ What is best way to cross a ditch? #1  

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
What is best way to cross a ditch?

Perpendicular to the ditch, or at a 45 degree angle to the ditch?

Is there a different answer depending if you have 4WD vs 2WD?
Or have attachment in tow (or suspended from 3 PTH)?

Do 2WD front axles pivot more than 4WD front axles? Why?

/ What is best way to cross a ditch? #2  
It is best to approach the ditch head on. That being said, it will depend on the angle of the banks, depth of ditch, wether muddy, watery, or rocky, what attachments are attached.

/ What is best way to cross a ditch? #3  
Depends on how deep the ditch is. I would think a 2wd axle pivots a little more, maybe not much though.

/ What is best way to cross a ditch? #4  
How big is the ditch? I usually cross straight on so I can lift the front end with a the loader. I think you’d be less likely to get stuck crossing at 45 degrees.

/ What is best way to cross a ditch? #5  
I usually go head on or a slight angle. Reason being if you go at a sharper angle and the ditch is deep enough you might get your wheels in such a position that they lose traction and just spin...which will then make you use your fel to level things out, so your tires can gain traction again. You don't want to get your tractor frame twisted !

/ What is best way to cross a ditch? #6  
Depends on the banks and bottom of the ditch. Around here it's pretty wet and if I go straight-on (perpendicular) I can end up getting the fronts stuck which tends to lessen the traction on the rears. I thought one small ditch I had was firm enough that I could run a 9k lbs excavator straight across- WRONG! Had to employ the wife behind the controls of the Kioti to help me get the thing backed out. Not the worst that I'd gotten an excavator stuck, not by a long shot!

Last winter I attempted to cross another small, but very wet, ditch with my B7800. Got it stuck. Used my Kioti to pick the thing out of that ditch! Despite all that I know I often find that I refuse to listen to myself!

45 degrees is my answer, and I'm sticking to it! ;)

/ What is best way to cross a ditch? #7  
Just as others have responded, way too many variables to determine the best way to cross a ditch. Every scenario has it's own unique set of circumstance to meet the challenge for the safest and successful way to cross a ditch. ;)

/ What is best way to cross a ditch? #8  
I vote on head on. Any angles raises chances of rolling over into the ditch

Andy

/ What is best way to cross a ditch? #10  
I vote on head on. Any angles raises chances of rolling over into the ditch

Andy

ANY angle?

1 degree ain't going to do anything (unlikely that one is going to be straight-up at 90 degrees anyway).

89 degrees, however, I'd agree with. BUT, it depends on the ditch. No way would I attempt to cross any ditch that's deep enough to result in a roll-over (if it can swallow the wheels why would you be trying?). Running an excavator over a deep ditch is different as you're much more able to walk it across given it has more ground contact along tracks (assuming it's a tracked excavator).