What is it with Harley riders?

/ What is it with Harley riders? #381  
The movie "Wild Hogs" was just on TV a few nights ago. A pretty good one, IMHO...
Yeah, we had to watch it one more time. I can relate to having seen lots of wanna-be's like those 4.

My saying is, If you can't lay down a thousand miles in 24 hours, you just ain't no rider. Long Live the Iron Butts!

/ What is it with Harley riders? #382  
Obviously you are at an extremely advanced age.. A base Harley starts at about 25K... And fully equipped CVO... Near 60K.. I have one that i probably have 50K into and another that's near 30K. ..They both make that beautiful noise that you don't understand.

Nah, I am just not a Harley guy, so I don't keep up with the prices. All I know is, they are too expensive for me. Even a total boat anchor seems to be worth a couple grand because it's a Harley.

1694885954474.png

Our lord and master, the Great Harlee David-Sun

(now, if you know that reference, you are probably overdue for your colonoscopy - I got that one from my dad)

I have never owned any vehicle that would even approach that type of money. Even if, by some miracle, I managed to improve my finances to where I would think of throwing 50K on a bike, I probably wouldn't. Can't imagine getting into debt for it, either.

Most bikes I've owned were $200-500 non-runners that I brought back to life. I find a lot more satisfaction in putting work rather than cash into the bike, and I am fine with it not being too shiny. It's mine, it's paid for, and it rides how I want.

As far as noise, specifically, I don't need to make extra noise for riding to be fun. Noise translates into performance only at the limits of what your engine can do, and you will never get there outside of the track or the drag strip. And I already have tinnitus, anyway.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #383  
The movie "Wild Hogs" was just on TV a few nights ago. A pretty good one, IMHO...
Nah, I am just not a Harley guy, so I don't keep up with the prices. All I know is, they are too expensive for me. Even a total boat anchor seems to be worth a couple grand because it's a Harley.

View attachment 821582

Our lord and master, the Great Harlee David-Sun

(now, if you know that reference, you are probably overdue for your colonoscopy - I got that one from my dad)

I have never owned any vehicle that would even approach that type of money. Even if, by some miracle, I managed to improve my finances to where I would think of throwing 50K on a bike, I probably wouldn't. Can't imagine getting into debt for it, either.

Most bikes I've owned were $200-500 non-runners that I brought back to life. I find a lot more satisfaction in putting work rather than cash into the bike, and I am fine with it not being too shiny. It's mine, it's paid for, and it rides how I want.

As far as noise, specifically, I don't need to make extra noise for riding to be fun. Noise translates into performance only at the limits of what your engine can do, and you will never get there outside of the track or the drag strip. And I already have tinnitus, anyway.

That is where I am at with the old 465 YZ has an Answer muffler on it and is still WAY to loud, even with helmet on for me.

I just bought a DB Killer for cheap and going to weld it on the end cap that keeps the packing in.
Heck I wish it was as quiet as a loud Harley exhaust. No need to hop it up, hard enough to keep the front tire on the ground.

Last edited:
   / What is it with Harley riders? #384  
Obviously you are at an extremely advanced age.. A base Harley starts at about 25K... And fully equipped CVO... Near 60K.. I have one that i probably have 50K into and another that's near 30K. ..They both make that beautiful noise that you don't understand.

This seems a lot like autofellatio; congratulations on participating in the economy.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #385  
Do Harleys have to be like tractors, where only 'new' will do?? (emissions, electronics, complication) OMG, consider all the awesome classics of all brands mentioned(!) and/or pictured in this thread. Should non-current early-millennial H-Ds be denied appreciation? (confessed AMF-era super-fan)

Nice (real) Harleys from 'Evolution' on are a dime a dozen for <$10k - $15k. Just look for the lowest miles and fewest add-ons. btw, I'm loyal to H-D ('64-'89 here) because IMO they don't need bling or mods, and even the after-market is loaded with parts and accessories.

Disclaimer: My panhead has an 8"-over (length) girder front fork, my favorite '75 Sportster sports a bolt-on hard-tail and chrome fenders, and these are the only two of my six bikes w/o factory exhaust. (5 H-Ds but gotta have a Yamaha 650 twin) :)

/ What is it with Harley riders? #386  
Nice (real) Harleys from 'Evolution' on are a dime a dozen for <$10k - $15k. Just look for the lowest miles and fewest add-ons. btw, I'm loyal to H-D ('64-'89 here) because IMO they don't need bling or mods, and even the after-market is loaded with parts and accessories.

This is exactly what I mean when I say they are too expensive. Evolution is 84-2000. $10-15K for a bike that is 20-40 years old... To me that sounds ridiculous. Maybe I just "think poor"...

Most other brands, you can buy a new bike for that or less. You can pick up a nice used bike from the early 2000s for 1/4 to 1/5 that. Less, if you are handy.

Of course, it wouldn't be a Harley, but it will have a motor and two wheels, and carry you down the road just fine. You won't have the nameplate or the sound, but are those really worth the thousands?

(5 H-Ds but gotta have a Yamaha 650 twin) :)
I have a Yamaha twin, too (amongst other bikes). 1982, so also 40 years old. It's a 400, and it was free... Well, except a few months of work and a couple hundred bucks in parts. :)

/ What is it with Harley riders? #387  
I have a Yamaha twin, too (amongst other bikes). 1982, so also 40 years old. It's a 400,
Is that the XJ, with the DOHC? They were snappy for the size. That was the last bike I ever rode. Some woman pulled out in front of me so I kicked the rear out and skidded around her, stalling it when I was close enough to her hood so that I could reach out and touch it. She sat there swearing at me to get the F out of her way. I took it home, parked it on the lawn and sold it that day.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #388  
All I know is Hardleys are like late model cars, way over priced. I see the electric Hardley is a total flop.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #389  
All I know is Hardleys are like late model cars, way over priced. I see the electric Hardley is a total flop.
I took one for a test ride a few years ago it was fun to ride but short range and around 30k not for me...