What is it with Harley riders?

/ What is it with Harley riders? #211  
Sigh . . . . ,
Anyone ever had an EV scooter or bicycle suddenly, silently show up outside your drivers window scaring the crap out of you????
Kinda proves the point on loud pipes.
I don't sit at the light revving to "keep it running", But I do match rip-ems to downshift so the wife doesn't mash her nose into the back of my head.
And if I have to explain HD to you, ain't no way you'll understand.
Same as brand loyalty to (yuk), Fords, Levi's, Starbucks, Traegers or Cabela's.
To each, his own.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #212  
There is a big difference between the stock actions and noise of a modern motorcycle, and the noise they're capable of when purposefully manipulated by their operator. If you're not doing anything to create excess noise, you're not the problem; it's no different than the diesel douches who insist on r0o0o0olLing cOaL.

So again, if it doesn't apply, it's not about you- but I assumed that was a given.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #213  
Sigh . . . . ,
Anyone ever had an EV scooter or bicycle suddenly, silently show up outside your drivers window scaring the crap out of you????

I don't sit at the light revving to "keep it running", But I do match rip-ems to downshift so the wife doesn't mash her nose into the back of my head.
To each, his own.
Same has happen to me with loud vehicle even on my bike which is quiet I got spook by a Harley they other day ... sound do not travel up wind good luck luck hearing that ninja coming behind you at 100 miles/h.

Last edited:
   / What is it with Harley riders? #214  
Same has happen to me with loud vehicle even on my bike which is quiet I got spook by a Harley they other dat ... sound do not travel up wind good luck luck hearing that ninja coming at you at 100 miles/h behind you.

The way sound carries is fascinating; if you're not feeling the movement of the ground, many modern armored vehicles could sneak up on you.

You don't really hear an Abrams until it's passing you, suddenly that turbine is deafening.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #215  
The way sound carries is fascinating; if you're not feeling the movement of the ground, many modern armored vehicles could sneak up on you.

You don't really hear an Abrams until it's passing you, suddenly that turbine is deafening.
right ? or like when the guy is next to you and you are yelling at him but he can't make out what you are saying but the guys a mile down the road hear us loud and clear.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #216  
right ? or like when the guy is next to you and you are yelling at him but he can't make out what you are saying but the guys a mile down the road hear use loud and clear.

Or how my children can never seem to hear a word I'm saying when I'm right next to them, but I can hear them whisper down the hall.

I wonder if they're willfully ignoring me... 🤔

/ What is it with Harley riders? #217  
harley.jpg

Bruce

/ What is it with Harley riders? #218  
Wow, it's been almost 10 years since this thread started but I still remember it. Time flies but the loud bikes are still around.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #219  
I rode a Harley as a kid and have always liked the sound. What I don't understand is the habit of gunning the engine when slowing up for a stop sign or whatever. Is this something they teach in "Harley School" or what.
Far as I'm concerned, it's a testosterone thing. They want to sound macho all the time and it's irritating all the time too. Sometimes I think I should stuff a potato up their exhaust pipes when they are parked. I own 4 bikes and none of them make that atrocious sound a Hardley does and 3 of them would suck the paint off of 99% of Hardleys on the street anyway. The louder they are, the slower they go though the owners 'think' they are fast, in reality they aren't.

When I'm out riding my Triumph Rocket 3 and a Hardley pulls up next to me at a light and revs the motor, I ignore them because I know I can quite literally suck the paint off of them. Same applies to my Norton and my Triumph Bonneville and none of them are obnoxiously loud either.

The Harley thing about 'Loud pipes save lives' is BS. All loud pipes do is pizz off people and then they enact noise ordinances.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #220  
Sigh . . . . ,
To each, his own.
It's not just the scooters, or bicycles. Most gas powered cars are super quiet.

I had my neighbor sneak up on me one day with her Toyota camry. Dog was sniffing something her kids dropped in their yard while we were out walking.

I didn't hear her pull up. But me and the dog shot 10ft straight into the air when she bumped her horn after waiting for us to move for a few minutes

Of course I was quite embarrassed and apologized for holding her up.