What is it with Harley riders?

/ What is it with Harley riders? #352  
Personally, I would rather hear a Harley any day than another of these 4-cylinder little cars gunning it with a loud muffler.
Agreed. But I'd rather hear neither. We all know the only pleasant loud engine noise is a 400 cubic inch Hemi, anything else is just annoying. :p

Honestly, as a fan of loud muscle cars, I guess it all has its place. But some of the Harley's in particular are just ear-splitting loud. We have a pedestrian-heavy town near us, a historic shopping district (New Hope, PA) which has for years been a place where doctors and lawyers like to play "motorcycle dress-up" and gather in their many restaurants and bars on weekends. Some of the bikes are so loud that you see people having to cover their ears, and even little kids cry when they go by. It's really just inconsiderate of other people.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #353  
Agreed. But I'd rather hear neither. We all know the only pleasant loud engine noise is a 400 cubic inch Hemi, anything else is just annoying. :p

Honestly, as a fan of loud muscle cars, I guess it all has its place. But some of the Harley's in particular are just ear-splitting loud. We have a pedestrian-heavy town near us, a historic shopping district (New Hope, PA) which has for years been a place where doctors and lawyers like to play "motorcycle dress-up" and gather in their many restaurants and bars on weekends. Some of the bikes are so loud that you see people having to cover their ears, and even little kids cry when they go by. It's really just inconsiderate of other people.
Is it New Hope PA ..Or No Hope PA.... asking for friend...

/ What is it with Harley riders? #354  
Is it New Hope PA ..Or No Hope PA.... asking for friend...
Sometimes I wonder. I grew up there. Neat old town though, my family has been there since the 1690's.

It's an old ferry crossing, dating back to the late 1600's. It had been known as Well's Ferry, and then later Coryell's Ferry, prior to the town nearly burning to the ground in 1790. One of the prominent families in town built a new mill operation in the wake of that fire, and called it "The New Hope Mills". Eventually the mill became so dominant in town finance and life that the town just adopted the name of the mill. Poor Coryell and his ferry were replaced by a very long covered bridge, about that time, and there are many good stories about that bridge being swept down the river in a storm with at least one passenger riding it like a ship.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #355  
Personally, I would rather hear a Harley any day than another of these 4-cylinder little cars gunning it with a loud muffler. I always have thought that 4-cylinder engines sound like they are straining. Not to say that there isn't a place for 4 cyl. cars, just not with a loud muffler.
About 20 years ago when I was working for myself I was on my way home after being away for 3 weeks or so. It was late at night, I was 10 hours and 45 minutes into an 11 hour drive when I came up behind one of those tin cans with a megaphone going slow on a lonely stretch of road. I’d pulled out around him when all of a sudden I heard a chainsaw-WTF? Who’s cutting wood at 9 at night? Then I realized the kid had stepped on the gas, trying to keep me from passing.

Nice try kid, get 4 more cylinders and you MIGHT stand a chance. Despite my current grievances with GM when I stepped on the gas that old Sierra went like an aped grape, and the sweet spot was around 75.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #356  
Nice try kid, get 4 more cylinders and you MIGHT stand a chance.

I was in my late 20's with a heavily-worked 429 cid Mustang with a manual valve body C6 and 9" rear with 4.11:1 gear on street slicks, when all the younger guys started getting those annoying 4-bangers with glass packs. They would constantly want to race, which was really stupid, as they'd be four car lengths behind me in the less than two seconds it took to spool out my first gear to where I'd be grabbing second near 6200 RPM. You're just not going to beat 7 liters with 2 liters, in similar weight vehicles, without absolutely heroic levels of spending and technology.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #357  
Dragracing.jpg

/ What is it with Harley riders? #359  
68 Firebird 400 ci was my chick car. Never had a Harley, but wish I did. However, a Firebird has a better backseat. 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👨

Last edited:
   / What is it with Harley riders? #360  
Sometimes I wonder. I grew up there. Neat old town though, my family has been there since the 1690's.

It's an old ferry crossing, dating back to the late 1600's. It had been known as Well's Ferry, and then later Coryell's Ferry, prior to the town nearly burning to the ground in 1790. One of the prominent families in town built a new mill operation in the wake of that fire, and called it "The New Hope Mills". Eventually the mill became so dominant in town finance and life that the town just adopted the name of the mill. Poor Coryell and his ferry were replaced by a very long covered bridge, about that time, and there are many good stories about that bridge being swept down the river in a storm with at least one passenger riding it like a ship.

I have ridden through PA several times on my bike. From north to south.. the roads tend to get better about 80% of the way through PA.. Boston to there is just horrendous. ..Same thing pulling a camper.