What is laminate flooring?

/ What is laminate flooring? #1  

Tdog

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX22
I'm not considering it [already have hardwood floors throughout], it's just I see a lot of it advertised. My neighbor told me that the surface is not real wood, just the image of wood grain.

Just curious.

/ What is laminate flooring? #2  
Have you ever heard of Pergo? That is one of several makers of laminate wood flooring. Yes, it is a picture of wood onto the laminate.

It's amazingly nice looking when installed.

/ What is laminate flooring? #3  
Tdog; In some types that's true. It's nothing more than HPPL. In other words, High Pressure Plastic Laminate. It's the same stuff most people call Formica, but that's a trade name. The difference between the flooring and the stuff on your countertops, is that the flooring has additional additives that prevent it fron scratching as easily and a little longer wearing. The substrate that the design is adhered to is usually a type of particle board that is a little bit more moisture resistant than the standard stuff. I installed this stuff in my kitchen 5 years ago, and am ready to tear it up and have vinyl reinstalled. Even with using the companies own adhesive to bond the "planks" for use in damp areas, it's still seperated and the photo of the wood has bubbled in places. I can't recommend this stuff to anyone.

Then there is the type that is actual plywood with a thin wood veneer on the upside. Alot of that comes prefinished, and some of it can be resurfaced if a person is carefull. Ofcourse that stuff is more expensive, but still cheaper than solid hardwood. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ What is laminate flooring? #4  
Actually John, since 5 years ago, much has changed. The additives namely aluminum oxide is exceptionally durable, so much so that it is now being added to many finishes for real wood floors as well. There are also 100% synthetic laminate floors that can stay submerged in water and not swell. If your the type that tends to get a lot of water on your floor, consider that instead or go vinyl. I see so little vinyl anymore, some small stores don't even bother to stock it because laminates are so much more desireable. I personally still like real wood over laminate, but the cost is considerably more.

/ What is laminate flooring? #5  
RaT; I wasn't aware of the improvements you mentioned. In five years a lot can change. I got so burned at this stuff I've got, that I haven't even looked at the advertizments in my trade mags. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif There's always something, isn't there? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ What is laminate flooring? #6  
Many manufacturers are starting to offer a laminate with a bamboo veneer on the surface. When I first heard of it, I didn't think much of it, yet after seeing it, it actually looks very good-really nice grain patterns. I'm told it is highly durable and that the cost is low because bamboo grows fast and is imported from third world nations. Might be something to at least take a look at.

I also recently saw a new vinyl (linoleum) that looked very much like hardwood flooring. It didn't have a fake look like the older stuff. When you looked at it closely, there was small detail of wood grain pattern and the lines looked almost like real wood butt joints. I was really surprised at how good it looked.

/ What is laminate flooring? #7  
What I have in my office is laminate, but it is real wood, 3 thin layers glued onto the base, and the snaplock stuff to hold it together. I can actually sand mine for a new finish

/ What is laminate flooring? #8  
I like the real bamboo wood flooring.
Except in Seattle you cant get any decent contractors to do "small" jobs. Theyre all big time developers, the good ones.
The rest continue to add to my book of "contractor excuses" I plan to publish someday... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ What is laminate flooring? #9  
Near the top of the page at this link, what looks like a hardwood floor is actually vinyl.

This page shows some engineered bamboo laminate flooring. Here are some less expensive examples by the same company.