What is Life Expectancy?

/ What is Life Expectancy? #1  

Git-R-Done

Bronze Member
Tractor
2021 JD 1025r (Process Buying)
New to the tractor world and considering my options new or used. On average what can you expect from a JD 1025r that is properly serviced and not abused? I'm thinking the Yanmar diesel should last a long time, but am comparing to my RAM Cummins.

/ What is Life Expectancy? #2  
Guy just posted a problem with his BX at 5k hrs. I think the bigger question is who spends enough time in the seat of a compact tractor to even get close to the life of the engine? Storing it outside will destroy it faster than normal use will wear out the engine IMHO.

/ What is Life Expectancy? #3  
Yanmar in my 2320, at 10 years and 1000 hours, seems just broken in. For most of us, these tractors will last a lifetime.

/ What is Life Expectancy? #4  
Original Yanmar diesel in my 1985 JD 950, still running strong, never been wrenched. Has about 3300 hours on it.

Stored inside, and maintenance done by me.

/ What is Life Expectancy? #5  
If* maintained, used but not abused, 10,000hrs. But don't kid yourself, if your using it you will be fixing it all the way along.

/ What is Life Expectancy? #6  
JD 4100 Yanmar engine. Only 1800 hours, but 20 yearsold. Regular oil changes. Replaced glow plugs twice, otherwise no problems.

/ What is Life Expectancy? #7  
My 4600 has 3200 hours. Starts in summer and winter on the first compression stroke without ever having to use glow plugs. In fact, I've never used the glow plugs and am not sure how to kick them on. My 332s each have around 800 hours and start on the first crank with the glow plugs.
My understanding is that the life of a tractor depends more on the user than the tractor. Well maintained, they seem to last forever. What I see happening is that a tractor accumulates a few years on it, gets dirty, and the owner starts to neglect minor repairs because they're too busy to be bothered with it. The machine starts to look weary, and the owner feels like it's "not worth" fixing. It gets worse and then ends up parked when something breaks. My 4600 and both 332s were all pretty sad looking when I got them, but the diesel engines run like new. One of my 332's was sitting idle in the woods for two years when I bought it, but with some injector cleaner and fresh fuel, it runs like new. Clean it up, fix the broken stuff, treat any rust, put on some fresh paint and a new seat. You've got a tractor that looks and runs like new and will probably outlive you if you keep up with the various repairs along the way.

Last edited:
   / What is Life Expectancy? #8  
When we move onto the property - 1982 - I purchased a brand new Ford 1700. In 2009 I upgraded to my current Kubota M6040. My Ford was still in excellent shape and I got exactly what I initially paid for it as my trade in.
If you are the "normal" homeowner - a properly maintained tractor can be expected to last your lifetime.