What is The Best Mid-Size Skid Steer?

/ What is The Best Mid-Size Skid Steer? #1  

cyclone88

Tractor
john deere
Hello,
I have never owned/operated a skid steer before, and an looking into getting one. I would like it to be an older (late 90s up to 2010) mid-size, diesel skid steer. I would like to be able to run a backhoe, a grapple bucket, a tree puller/shear, and a normal bucket. I would like a high horsepower machine. And my budget is $15,000. Any recommendations would be appreciated thanks!

/ What is The Best Mid-Size Skid Steer? #2  
At that price point you really can’t afford to be that selective. I’d look for a joystick control if you can find one.

/ What is The Best Mid-Size Skid Steer? #3  
Your price point puts you in the range of well used wheeled mid-size machines with hand and foot controls. Typically that means that the bucket and boom is controlled by your feet and the sticks are for forward and backward movement of each side of wheels. Takes some practice to get comfortable with it. Pilot controls (right hand drive joystick and left hand bucket) are worlds nicer and easier to operate (to me). But I wouldn't shy away from a really good deal on machine with foot controls.

You also have about $15K in tools you want too.

Are you in hilly terrain? My SS was terrible slopes. I once nearly flipped it end over end when I took the bucket off to exchange for forks, backed down a hill and stopped. The tail heavy SS wanted to keep going and I had that precarious second of two wheel balance that seems like 10 minutes. Mine was a Bobcat 753.

Why the high horsepower? Do you need high flow?

I highly suggest renting a machine that closely fits the used rig that you want to buy. You may love it or absolutely hate it.

/ What is The Best Mid-Size Skid Steer? #4  
Case, Gehl possibly deere probably others have option of hand controls for both travel and loader operation. I personally dislike foot controls but to each their own. Like crashz suggests rent a few if possible to see if they really do work for your applications. Older machines may require some expensive repairs if the hydros are getting weak.

/ What is The Best Mid-Size Skid Steer? #5  
I have a bobcat 773 that fits your description. Been a good machine, getting old. If you can keep them indoors and enjoy working in very tight spaces you will enjoy it.

Best,

ed

/ What is The Best Mid-Size Skid Steer? #6  
All skidsteers suck. Your $15K will buy a really sucky one.

/ What is The Best Mid-Size Skid Steer? #7  
Have you ever ran one? Decide what type of controls you want and narrow your selection. Bobcat/deere with foot controls? Cat/Kubota with joysticks? Case style?

/ What is The Best Mid-Size Skid Steer? #8  
I have a 773 Bobcat. I own a yr 2002 machine with about 3200 hours. Bought for 10k with smooth bucket and forks a few yrs ago. I bought a Titan a 72" brush hog and a broom attachment. These machines are kind of pitchy because of their short wheelbase. Makes it hard to use a mower in rough terrain
This machine has 50+ hp. It is heavy and strong. Visibility is awful with the exception of the bucket which you can see very well. This is the same for all skid steers. Somebody suggested renting one before committing to purchase. That's an excellent idea! I had 100s of hours on this model machine before I bought.

• Good Post
Reactions: LD1
   / What is The Best Mid-Size Skid Steer? #9  
I have a 773 Bobcat. I own a yr 2002 machine with about 3200 hours. Bought for 10k with smooth bucket and forks a few yrs ago. I bought a Titan a 72" brush hog and a broom attachment. These machines are kind of pitchy because of their short wheelbase. Makes it hard to use a mower in rough terrain
This machine has 50+ hp. It is heavy and strong. Visibility is awful with the exception of the bucket which you can see very well. This is the same for all skid steers. Somebody suggested renting one before committing to purchase. That's an excellent idea! I had 100s of hours on this model machine before I bought.
I like the suggestion of renting one.

IF the OP has ran one before....I'd stick to that brand or at least one with the same controls.

IF the OP hasnt ran one before, Id rent at least one with all three types of controls and see which he likes best.

Im not a skidloader guru....but:

1. standard controls where the levers drive just like a zero-turn mower and have foot controls for the loader
2. H-pattern where the handles drive just like a zero-turn but left control left-right is loader arms and right control left and right is bucket tilt
3. ISO/joystick where left control is direction control and right control is all loader/bucket.

Having ran all three, there is a learning curve to each. And it is possible to get proficient at each, its hard to switch back and forth. And certainly some are more intrinsic than others, depending on what other equipment you have been around, and if you have operated a loader before.

So again....IF I were the OP, Id want a few hours on each to decide what I liked. If you have owned/operated a ISO controlled machine before and liked it....perhaps its not a wise move to drop $15k on one with standard controls or H-pattern without first having a few hours of seat time to see if its something you are going to like and be able to adapt to

/ What is The Best Mid-Size Skid Steer? #10  
I like the suggestion of renting one.

IF the OP has ran one before....I'd stick to that brand or at least one with the same controls.

IF the OP hasnt ran one before, Id rent at least one with all three types of controls and see which he likes best.

Im not a skidloader guru....but:

1. standard controls where the levers drive just like a zero-turn mower and have foot controls for the loader
2. H-pattern where the handles drive just like a zero-turn but left control left-right is loader arms and right control left and right is bucket tilt
3. ISO/joystick where left control is direction control and right control is all loader/bucket.

Having ran all three, there is a learning curve to each. And it is possible to get proficient at each, its hard to switch back and forth. And certainly some are more intrinsic than others, depending on what other equipment you have been around, and if you have operated a loader before.

So again....IF I were the OP, Id want a few hours on each to decide what I liked. If you have owned/operated a ISO controlled machine before and liked it....perhaps its not a wise move to drop $15k on one with standard controls or H-pattern without first having a few hours of seat time to see if its something you are going to like and be able to adapt to
Right. Plus there is a whole range of limits or issues that are skid steer specific. All of which you need to be fully aware of before you drop 15k and regret the decision. Guys tell me the old 773 BC is becoming desirable because new ones are so computer controlled the average guy can not work on them. Well that's the way with everything now, isn't it.