What is the capability of a John Deere 850?

/ What is the capability of a John Deere 850? #1  

stormin1968

Tractor
John Deere 850
I recently got a John Deere 850 tractor, 22 HP, and have been experimenting with different gears and speeds on flat and hills. I am getting very comfortable with the tractor quickly but I don't know when I am asking too much of it or running too slowly for no good reason and using too much diesel. Obviously I will put it in first or second gear in close quarters and difficult grades. what is the steepest hill I should attempt? is 30 degrees the maximum? Is 45 degrees reasonable uphill or downhill on dry ground? Going uphill I feel it lift up the front end slightly but with a mowing attachment on the back I expect flipping over backward will not be likely. Is that too hard on the motor- creeping up a 30+ degree hill in 1st or second? I am more afraid to drive sideways on a slope than uphill or down, it gets very scary really quick. How stable is it on side hills? Can I drive up a 20-30 degree hill with a bushhog in 4th gear? It seems to do ok but I don't know, lower gears than that it is painfully slow (especially in the wallet). The manual says not to pull loads in the lower gears which sounds counterintuitive since that is where the power is. What do they consider low 1st and second or 3rd and fourth also? Also having driven only gasoline powered cars with a manual transmission in the past it is difficult to get the tractor moving smoothly from a stop above second gear. Any advice would be appreciated. It is a great tractor with only 1000 hours I don't want to do anything that might shorten it's life since people keep telling me they last forever.

/ What is the capability of a John Deere 850? #2  
I recently got a John Deere 850 tractor, 22 HP, and have been experimenting with different gears and speeds on flat and hills. I am getting very comfortable with the tractor quickly but I don't know when I am asking too much of it or running too slowly for no good reason and using too much diesel.

Obviously I will put it in first or second gear in close quarters and difficult grades. what is the steepest hill I should attempt?
is 30 degrees the maximum?

Is 45 degrees reasonable uphill or downhill on dry ground?

Going uphill I feel it lift up the front end slightly but with a mowing attachment on the back I expect flipping over backward will not be likely.
Is that too hard on the motor- creeping up a 30+ degree hill in 1st or second?

I am more afraid to drive sideways on a slope than uphill or down, it gets very scary really quick. How stable is it on side hills?
Can I drive up a 20-30 degree hill with a bushhog in 4th gear?

It seems to do ok but I don't know, lower gears than that it is painfully slow (especially in the wallet).
The manual says not to pull loads in the lower gears which sounds counterintuitive since that is where the power is. What do they consider low 1st and second or 3rd and fourth also?

Also having driven only gasoline powered cars with a manual transmission in the past it is difficult to get the tractor moving smoothly from a stop above second gear.

Any advice would be appreciated. It is a great tractor with only 1000 hours I don't want to do anything that might shorten it's life since people keep telling me they last forever.

When in doubt:
Always have your ROPS up and seat belt on. (ROPS do no good if you get ejected under rolling tractor).
Going slower is better for many reasons. (You have time to react. You won't "pop" the clutch and wheelie. You eliminate the "dynamic forces" (e.g. Any tractor will tip over on level ground if you corner fast enough)
Lower gear is easier on the tractor.
45 degree slope is very steep (100% grade). I think your tractor would have to be special to handle this.
I wouldn't rely on a rear attachment to stop you from flipping over backwards. Your 3pth has no down force. The attachment's hitch is built to lift itself (a few hundred pounds ) not to act as wheelie bars & stop a ton and a half of tractor going over backwards.

The maximum side hill angle you can handle is based on many factors: Width of tire spacing, whether tires are loaded, the tractor's center of gravity (which can change depending on attachment and/or FEL weight and position (height)), etc..
Same for traveling up/down a hill. If the front is light, then weights on the front will help (as will not popping the clutch in a high (or any) gear).

Google "tractor overturn hazards" https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=tractor+overturn+hazards There's some good info done by universities.

/ What is the capability of a John Deere 850? #3  
My 950 seldom gets above 3rd

/ What is the capability of a John Deere 850? #4  
Welcome to TBN.

Coby's comments and his Google references deserve an endorsement... they advise caution and careful operation on hills and slopes, particularly for novice tractor operators using unfamiliar equipment. There must be at least 100 ways a tractor can be lethal and travelling on sloping ground is certainly a major risk. Side slopes obviously pose a roll-over risk; as Coby notes many factors come into play but it is surprising how little of a slope is needed to make a compact or utility tractor tippy to the side. Then any unseen hump or pothole can precipitate a tumble.

Climbing or descending a hill may be some degree safer, but also pose their own safety challenges. As noted, the mower on the back won't prevent a back-flip since it's made to swing freely going up (does this so the tractor can go across uneven ground). Also, you didn't note whether your 850 is a 2wd or 4x4, which means a lot when on hills. Always use the 4wd on hills if it is so equipped. Not only is traction improved, but your stopping power is much better because tractors only have brakes on the rear wheels. If it's a 2wd model or you don't have the 4wd engaged, the rear brakes alone may not be enough to keep a downhill journey safely under control. With the 4wd engaged, the rear brakes act to slow both front and rear wheels and a wild ride down the hill can be avoided. For the same reasons, avoid having to change gears while half-way up the hill. Pick a low enough gear at the bottom.

Tractors are not meant to compete with ATV's, etc. in a hill-climb. The big tires, high center of gravity, sometimes narrow overall width and attachments typically hanging outside the footprint of the tires all make a tractor a less than perfect vehicle for that kind of terrain. Slow and easy is usually best.

Your 850 is a great little tractor. Take the time to learn how to use it and it will serve you well for many years.

/ What is the capability of a John Deere 850? #5  
stormin1968;4148548 Going uphill I feel it lift up the front end slightly but with a mowing attachment on the back I expect flipping over backward will not be likely..[/QUOTE said:
If you feel the front becoming light you need to add weight to the front.

/ What is the capability of a John Deere 850? #6  
I have a 650, your tractors little brother. Hills are nothing to take lightly. Back when these machines sold new roll bars and seat belts....eh who needed them.....at least mine did not come with them. The 4x4 will also add a little weight to the front, and remember it is really front wheel assist, not a true 4 wheel drive....but it can help. Also if you are just mowing remember to turn it off....making sharp turns (at least on mine) tends to want to bind it up.

I like the machine, good little machines, but some parts are getting hard to find....I had to have a replacement rear wheel made as JD no longer has it.

/ What is the capability of a John Deere 850? #7  
I have a 650, your tractors little brother. Hills are nothing to take lightly. Back when these machines sold new roll bars and seat belts....eh who needed them.....at least mine did not come with them. The 4x4 will also add a little weight to the front, and remember it is really front wheel assist, not a true 4 wheel drive....but it can help. Also if you are just mowing remember to turn it off....making sharp turns (at least on mine) tends to want to bind it up.

I like the machine, good little machines, but some parts are getting hard to find....I had to have a replacement rear wheel made as JD no longer has it.

Good to see you posting.

/ What is the capability of a John Deere 850? #8  
LA 22HP diesel tractor is not going to use "too much fuel" . So don't plan operation around saving 5 cents worth of fuel.
The operator's manual has the answers to your questions . Have you read the manual? If somebody went and lost it. Call the nice folks at 1-800-522-7448 for the real JD manual on CD or hard copy.
A tractor is too large, too powerful and too dangerous to learn operation via trial and error.
TractorData.com John Deere 850 tractor information

Last edited:
   / What is the capability of a John Deere 850? #9  
I have the JD 750 4WD with Loader and Turf Tires (not filled). The loader provides some added weight to the front for hills. My concern is that it has a high center of gravity and narrow wheel base. Even slight inclines are difficult at any angle other than directly up or down. Even then having the front wheel drop into a hole or depression can be scary. Some lower slopes I will back up slowly just because I can feel the front wheel "get light."

The tractor has a high and low range with 4 forward gears for each range. I generally keep it in 5th gear for most work around the yard. I switch to low for hooking up implements and backing into the shed. I also keep the RPM at the lower end of the operating range. Does not use very much diesel so don't worry about that. Just don't run dry. Bleeding is a PIA with the loader installed. Brackets and hoses get in the way of the screws.

I have had the JD 750 for 7 years. Bought it used with 350 hours on it. It has been great. Just wish it has power steering.

My suggestion is take it slow and learn the machine and as much about how it behaves. There are things others can do with their tractors that I would never try with mine.

/ What is the capability of a John Deere 850? #10  
I ran a John Deere 750 MFWA for 27 years.

I only ever had two issues with it:

1) It had enough power to do anything I ever attempted with it, but it was light and putting that power on the ground could be an issue. Even with loaded tires, I always ran out of traction WAY before I ever ran out of power.

2. It IS very narrow and it doesn't take much of a side-hill to send the pucker factor into the stratosphere. Still, I took it into a lot of places that my Dad would've shot me for when I was a kid. I grew up in central Michigan where everything is about as flat as a table top. You get used to what you can and cannot do with it after while.

I finally upgraded cuz I'm getting old and I wanted a cab with heat and AC, power steering and live PTO. If I could have afforded it, I'd have kept the 750 because even after all those years, there wasn't anything major wrong with it and it had another 30 years in it easily.