What is the coldest you have ever been ?

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #131  
As a pipe welder working on a new power plant. I was about 300 feet in the air on top of the boiler. It was in the single digits on the ground, the wind was blowing off the river too. Had to put my sandwiches inside my coveralls so they wouldn’t freeze. Don’t know what the windchill was that day but it was tough working 7/12’s that winter.

I feel you. Right now it is about 12°F outside with 25mph winds and I am supposed to be swapping studded tires and wheels onto my RZR for a new non-turbo ice-racing class out on a local lake taking place on Sunday, but I'm looking out my window at the wind bend the tree branches on what otherwise appears to be a nice sunny day, thinking, I will let the wind die down first.

Cold wind chills can be brutal!

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #132  
We used to fight you guys for the “honor” of that, but we let you guys buy the rights to say that. Doesn’t actually make it true :p Depends on how you measure “View attachment 780941Coldest“

On my way to the Christmas Eve Service at church last month. LOL

IMG_3973.JPG

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #135  
One of a couple of my "cold" experiences:
I went cross country skiing on the side of Crater Lake once when I was in College. It was fairly rough terrain and it was very cold and windy. I was probably a mile or more away from my car I caught the tip of my ski under a tree root and broke it off. It is next to impossible to ski with a broken ski tip, and next to impossible to get around in deep snow in rough terrain without skis or snow shoes. I was working so hard at getting back to my car that I built up a good sweat. I eventually was forced to stop to rest when I did, the sweat froze and it pulled all the heat out of my body. I barely made it out. It could have easily turned out differently.
They do make emergency ski tips to put on broken skis. I never went out without one again.

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #136  
My other "cold" experience:

I spent the winter of 1967 at Glasgow AFB in Northeastern Montana. We had a stretch where it got to an honest -40 F (no wind chill factors back then). We used box vans (bread trucks) as a work station to work on our aircraft that were parked outside on the flight line. For heat they had modified the trucks by locating the engine's radiator in the open area in the back of the van. We parked the vans in hangars on the off shift. One day someone left a van outside overnight. It wouldn't start so we decided to push it with a tractor to start it. It was so cold that the oil in the rear wheel differential was frozen up and the wheels just skidded along and wouldn't even rotate.

Our chow hall was maybe 200 yards or so from our barracks. One evening I decided rather that dress up in a Parka and Bunny Boots to go that little ways, I'd just run (sprint) over to the chow hall. What a mistake! I froze my lungs and spent the next week or two in considerable pain (only when I breathed:oops:).

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #137  
This wasn't me, but I was there the next morning. I used to moonlight for a caterer, who would feed the National Guard when they were having a weekend. Or it might have been the Marines that time.

One extremely cold winter morning we showed up and the diesel heaters for the tents had congealed... I guess nobody here knows anything about THAT!!! :D

Those poor guys were frozen, all they were interested in when we go there was a cup of hot coffee. I don't recall if they drank it or wrapped their hands around the cup to warm their fingers.

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #138  
Don't think it's the coldest I've been...but...once I was staying in a hunt camp in a small travel trailer it had elec. but no heat...one morning it was so cold...I just stood in front of the open refrigerator feeling the much warmer air...!!

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #139  
If you are a fan of science, this is cold.

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #140  
Hi

Yes, I have also always taken a spare ski tip when cross country skiing, though not had to use it.

I'm not sure if this counts but the coldest I have been is 18 °C (that's 64.4 °F). That's body temperature.
I was cooled down to that temperature on the operating table when they replaced my aorta valve last year.
Sorry I fortunately can't recall how cold that felt - I was out of it :)

Mike