what is the easy way to change oil in a MX6

/ what is the easy way to change oil in a MX6 #1  

plowindeeper

Gold Member
Tractor
jd 4610
If you ever done this before you might have a easier way. Dealer said to take the top off and flip over or to pull bottom seal. I was hoping a $2000 bushog would have a drain plug. I haven't taken stump jumper off to see but they said it didn't have one.

/ what is the easy way to change oil in a MX6 #2  
I find it irritating that it doesn't have a drain plug too.:(

I change mine once a year by sucking everything out I can then flipping it over with the fel and draining the rest in a bucket for a couple of hours.

/ what is the easy way to change oil in a MX6 #3  
I'm certain that there's a logical, "engineering" basis for that oversight... Even something like "planned design failure" or some such reasoning.

Keeps people busy working the sales counter and the parts dept. :thumbsup:

AKfish

/ what is the easy way to change oil in a MX6 #4  
I'm certain that there's a logical, "engineering" basis for that oversight... Even something like "planned design failure" or some such reasoning.

Keeps people busy working the sales counter and the parts dept. :thumbsup:

AKfish

More likely an engineering manager got a fat bonus and a great parking space for instructing the project engineer to pressure the design engineer to eliminate the drain plug and pipe thread tapped hole, realizing a $1.59 cost reduction on every unit sold, thereby meeting his Management By Objective self imposed cost reduction target price with $0.37 to spare. Trust me.

/ what is the easy way to change oil in a MX6 #5  
More likely an engineering manager got a fat bonus and a great parking space for instructing the project engineer to pressure the design engineer to eliminate the drain plug and pipe thread tapped hole, realizing a $1.59 cost reduction on every unit sold, thereby meeting his Management By Objective self imposed cost reduction target price with $0.37 to spare. Trust me.

.....and it meets the sales department goal of selling more suction guns too!

I finally broke down and bought a suction gun for changing grease. They last a lifetime.

/ what is the easy way to change oil in a MX6 #6  

The gear box is made in China on the MX 6 so no way it would cost $1.59 for a drain plug. More like .25 cents. I just use 3 of those clear tubes that I use in my aquarium air pumps. I siphon out all I can and fill it back up. If you get it a bit warm before you start it will just take a couple of hours. I'm sure I don't get it all but by the time I change it a couple of times the gear oil should be fine and dandy.

/ what is the easy way to change oil in a MX6 #7  
bilrus61
Do you see "made in China" on the gear box?

/ what is the easy way to change oil in a MX6 #8  
bilrus61
Do you see "made in China" on the gear box?

Yes. They used to have "made in Spain" cast in the box. Now they have made in China either cast in or on the metal tag. I would have to go look but its there on my MX 6, made in china. Its a heavier duty gearbox compared to the Spain one. Should give great service. If chinese gearboxes wern't good the highways would all be overgrown with trees! The MX 6 used to be made in Canada with a spanish made gearbox that has has some issues with the output shaft breaking. Now its made in Mexico with a Chinese gearbox and I've not heard any bad reports on the most recent MX 6 incarnation. Mine does great but for the price it should.

/ what is the easy way to change oil in a MX6
I find it irritating that it doesn't have a drain plug too.:(

I change mine once a year by sucking everything out I can then flipping it over with the fel and draining the rest in a bucket for a couple of hours.

Do you take the plate off the top or drain thru the check plug.
I'm thinking of just taking the plate off and flipping it over,washing it out with gas, then diesel.Resealing it with blue rtv gasker maker

/ what is the easy way to change oil in a MX6
Mine was made in Spain, but I picked up a gear box off a HX 14 for $50 at a farm sale. MADE IN THE USA cast on it hope it fits if the time comes.