What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs?

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs?
It seems too much to burn under the constraints you have. If a burn pile gets out of control, the fines will be substantial.

Make piles as large as you can and let them rot.
Good info in this thread. I'm going to start burning tomorrow.

I will look for ravines for the larger logs, and plan to burn more slash than actual bucked up logs. But still, I could fill ravines up with what I have on the ground.

We had a wet winter. Caution with fire is always smart but burn conditions here are pretty good now. That will change in another month.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #32  
multiple piles get them started with used oil and diesel. They will all burn up then push whatever doesn't burn from the multiple piles into one pile and repeat. If you lived near me I have a bunch of used oil : )

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #33  
I get a fire going with dry wood kindling and cardboard then if i have too to spread the fire around i will used fuel but to be successful getting a some coal is the fastest way, trying to skip this step will cost you lots of time fu&$@ around. If I have some plastic I or even some cardboard I will stuff it around to help, but again I don't used fuel until my fire is actually going I will only used fuel to accelerate the spreading process.

Last edited:
   / What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #34  
There is no quick way to burn piles of logs.

I found the most reliable and fastest start method is to get a tin foil turkey roaster pan from the dollar store, an item of old clothing as a wick, and a diesel gas mix in the pan. Cardboard is ok if you have a lot of dry kindling to start with.

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs?
There is no quick way to burn piles of logs.
Spent the day burning today.

What became obvious is that based on fire size restrictions, I won't live long enough to work through the pile of logs I want to get rid of.

So I have no choice but to back off and burn slash and drag or roll logs out of sight somewhere. Hey, maybe onto the neighbor property! :D

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #36  
I’ve got a small ravine out of the way and it works perfect for trimmings and such… it’s helped a lot and it seems rot happens in about 3 years for oak with bark

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #38  
Spent the day burning today.

What became obvious is that based on fire size restrictions, I won't live long enough to work through the pile of logs I want to get rid of.

So I have no choice but to back off and burn slash and drag or roll logs out of sight somewhere. Hey, maybe onto the neighbor property! :D
Being you have so many logs you need to burn what if you bought a band saw for a few grand and saw the logs into boards then sell the lumber and once finished sell the saw. You would probably make some money but either way you would have gotten rid of the logs.

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #39  
The smaller you make the pieces, the quicker they will burn, especially if you split them. Maximize surface area. I have played with cutting slots in big logs with the chainsaw and it seems to help a bit, but just a bit. Beyond that, get a grapple so you can pile them up. How likely is it that someone will call and complain about your burn pile? Our property borders a road, if we have to burn near the road, we're more careful about the rules. But we generally avoid it and burn away from the road and just pile it up and try to get it to burn hot for less smoke, and especially behind a couple shipping containers so it can't be seen from the road. A leaf blower is your best friend for getting a good hot fire.
1712907400460.png

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #40  
We used blue pine paneling in my bedroom years ago. It was nice.

There is quite a bit of market for the lumber if you have some blue color in it.