What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs?

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #41  
Being you have so many logs you need to burn what if you bought a band saw for a few grand and saw the logs into boards then sell the lumber and once finished sell the saw. You would probably make some money but either way you would have gotten rid of the logs.
LOL

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #42  
Being you have so many logs you need to burn what if you bought a band saw for a few grand and saw the logs into boards then sell the lumber and once finished sell the saw. You would probably make some money but either way you would have gotten rid of the logs.
I took it that he had pine trees that had been on the ground for years from a pine beetle invasion and I would have figured that those logs would be past the time frame for sawing boards, but I could have misunderstood.

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs?
he had pine trees that had been on the ground for years from a pine beetle invasion
You are exactly correct.

And the reason I am trying to figure out the fastest way to burn the past-their-prime logs is because I have nearly 50 good logs decked up and ready to put on my sawmill.

The only thing missing is available time to mill them into lumber. Because I need to be out burning before the window closes on burn season. 😀

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #44  
With hundreds as you originally posted, my thought is to start with only a few as a test burn that you know you can manage but will help you to figure out how to proceed burning the rest.

Do you have a source of water to put out the fire if something unexpected happens?

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs?
Do you have a source of water to put out the fire if something unexpected happens?
Yes I am good about that. But a weird thing did happen yesterday.

Last year I sprayed and killed about a 40' x 40' mini-forest of Scotch Broom. Pretty thick coverage up to about chest high. This stuff is an invasive plant and huge fire hazard. Outlawed in Northern CA. Such a hazard there are County-wide seasonal volunteer efforts to knock it back.

I was removing it by cutting the stems near the ground using my chain saw. I'd fill my dump truck with it, drive near the pile, and add one plant at a time to the fire. Each single plant I tossed on the burn pile caused an immediate fire eruption. Very hot. Dramatic enough that you couldn't get near the pile to add more slash until it burned back down.

On about the 3rd load, I realized what would happen if my chain saw sparked on a rock while working in that huge mess. I put the chain saw away and started popping them out of the ground using a shovel.

If it was not so volatile I'd crunch it up and use it for fire starter. :D

btw, this same invasive, high-fire-risk species is sold in Northern Nevada at Home Depot as an ornamental.

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #46  
Scotch Broom is the official poster child of invasive plants here in Oregon.
Of course Himalayan Blackberries are way up on the list too, but it seems like everyone hates Scotch Broom.
Patrick

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #47  
It’s taking over now where it has never been in the East Bay…

If one owner lets it go it’s only a matter of time.

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #48  
It’s taking over now where it has never been in the East Bay…

If one owner lets it go it’s only a matter of time.
Interesting.

I have one Scotch Broom bush that was planted by the driveway apparently as a privacy screen, blocking view from the lane. Over 40 years it has declined from massive down to just scrawny bare stems with greenery 6 ft from the base, not really attractive. Reading now that its an invasive species, I should just pull it out.

Himalayan Blackberries on the other hand, grow 'like weeds' anywhere that birds poop. It's a constant battle in the orchard, especially close to the apple trees. I've found the backhoe can get ahold of them and pull out the roots like pulling carrots if the soil is wet enough.

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #49  
Blackberries grow like weeds in Thurston County...

I wish I my TBL there to do a push back and attack.

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #50  
Keep the fire hot?

Last week Christmas Tree clean up…

Attachments

• 9F5482E3-24C8-49EF-B1CD-F53DBF5EC603.jpeg
    9F5482E3-24C8-49EF-B1CD-F53DBF5EC603.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45