What is the smallest Deere with a diff lock?

/ What is the smallest Deere with a diff lock? #21  
Whats making you guys say the Gx345 is superior to the x500's?

In my research they were essentially the same. I saw NO difference. Other than the x540 having more power.

Please, enlighten me as to what i missed.

/ What is the smallest Deere with a diff lock? #22  
There was no "one" thing that I didn't like about the new X5xx. The tractor as a whole just seemed very flimsy and didn't have the rugged build of the previous generation Deere. I have never owned or even driven one, and my opinion is only based on what I've seen on the showroom floor. Most of the time, that's enough, but not always. One mistake I do think Deere made on that line, was not offering 4 wheel drive and a diesel engine. You now have to move up to the larger frame X7xx series to get those options.

Only time will tell for sure, whether or not these new X5xx series tractors have what it takes to last. I personally don't think so. I am currently looking for an X595 myself. It kills me to have to give up my GX345, but I need 4 wheel drive and really prefer a diesel. Good luck on whatever you decide and don't forget to post some pics.
I guess I'll be the guinea pig here. I have an X530 that I cut grass with last year, plowed several feet of snow with and am cutting grass with again this year. I've also moved and spread several yards of dirt with the Johnny Bucket jr. So far not a single problem or complaint.

Attachments

• latest pics 009.jpg
    latest pics 009.jpg
    693 KB · Views: 404
   / What is the smallest Deere with a diff lock? #23  
Whats making you guys say the Gx345 is superior to the x500's?

In my research they were essentially the same. I saw NO difference. Other than the x540 having more power.

Please, enlighten me as to what i missed.

Ok to start off, I am not here to insult anyone or put down their tractor. I am quite sure the X5xx series is more then capable in doing what it was designed to do. But you have to admit that some tractors are made better then others.

First, the GX345 was selling for $7500 in 2005. Pretty much the same as the comparable X540 is selling for today. With inflation factored in and the high price of steel today, how would it be possible to build the same quality machine for the same sticker price 6 years later. It just isn't.

According to my JD salesman, who I have been dealing with for more years then I can remember, I would be crazy to trade my GX345 in for the X5xx series. He said the GX line was way overbuilt and is one of the best used L&G tractors, on the market today, for the money.

Unfortunately, I need 4 wheel drive, so I will have to soon part with it. If I can't find a near new X595, I guess I will have to go for the X7xx series

Once again guys, I am not an engineer or even a mechanic. My opinions are based on just what I've seen, read and told by my JD dealer. But you have to admit, the sales price of the two machines 6 yrs apart, says something.

/ What is the smallest Deere with a diff lock? #24  
Ok to start off, I am not here to insult anyone or put down their tractor. I am quite sure the X5xx series is more then capable in doing what it was designed to do. But you have to admit that some tractors are made better then others.

First, the GX345 was selling for $7500 in 2005. Pretty much the same as the comparable X540 is selling for today. With inflation factored in and the high price of steel today, how would it be possible to build the same quality machine for the same sticker price 6 years later. It just isn't.

According to my JD salesman, who I have been dealing with for more years then I can remember, I would be crazy to trade my GX345 in for the X5xx series. He said the GX line was way overbuilt and is one of the best used L&G tractors, on the market today, for the money.

Unfortunately, I need 4 wheel drive, so I will have to soon part with it. If I can't find a near new X595, I guess I will have to go for the X7xx series

Once again guys, I am not an engineer or even a mechanic. My opinions are based on just what I've seen, read and told by my JD dealer. But you have to admit, the sales price of the two machines 6 yrs apart, says something.

Not to argue too much, but i dont buy what your salesman said.

I can understand having to meet price point on the cheaper machines, but there is much more margin on the bigger tractors.

The rear diff on the 540, is a k72a. Rated at the same torque as the k71 in the gx345, but it has increased pump size and a strengthened housing... It also has more fluid capacity for better cooling.. Better overall IMHO.

The engine has more power too.

Seat has a higher back.

The 540 is ~160 lbs heavier... Thicker steel?

The 540 has a longer wheelbase for a better ride, and is wider for better stability.

The 540 has an easier access fuel tank with a large opening on the fender so you dont have to raise the seat. The fuel tank is also 1/2 gallon bigger.

Spec to spec vs. unsubstantiated opinions, one could argue that the x540 is a BETTER machine. Afterall these things are essentially glorified boxes holding a transmission and engine. Thats what matters and id argue that the 540's main components (eng and trans) are better.

All the above can be verified at Tractordata if so inclined. Again, not wanting to start an argument, but the specs speak for themselves.

/ What is the smallest Deere with a diff lock?
That one is actually way overpriced considering its condition and hours. Look at mine, which I will be selling for about the same price. It only has 260 hours and is in near new condition. This was a very popular tractor, so there are a good amount to choose from in the used market today. Save a search on Ebay.

0731001533.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

Nice Cab!

Is it for sale?

/ What is the smallest Deere with a diff lock? #26  
Spec to spec vs. unsubstantiated opinions, one could argue that the x540 is a BETTER machine. Afterall these things are essentially glorified boxes holding a transmission and engine. Thats what matters and id argue that the 540's main components (eng and trans) are better.

All the above can be verified at Tractordata if so inclined. Again, not wanting to start an argument, but the specs speak for themselves.
Jason, You've built a pretty solid case for the new 500 series. That said, maybe I need to improve upon a previous adjective "rugged" to describe the older 300 (GX and earlier) - let's try "proven". The 325,335,345,355 machines have been around quite a while now, many with hours in the thousands. And some of us here, being of a cynical nature, have doubts many times about the "newer and better". Only time will tell.

I guess I'll be the guinea pig here. I have an X530 that I cut grass with last year, plowed several feet of snow with and am cutting grass with again this year. I've also moved and spread several yards of dirt with the Johnny Bucket jr. So far not a single problem or complaint.

How do you like the blade? I live in Minnesota and sometimes get over a foot of snow. The ends of the driveway will have 3 feet or more when the plows go by. Would a blade work to clear that kind of snow?

Not to argue too much, but i dont buy what your salesman said.

I can understand having to meet price point on the cheaper machines, but there is much more margin on the bigger tractors.

The rear diff on the 540, is a k72a. Rated at the same torque as the k71 in the gx345, but it has increased pump size and a strengthened housing... It also has more fluid capacity for better cooling.. Better overall IMHO.

The engine has more power too.

Seat has a higher back.

The 540 is ~160 lbs heavier... Thicker steel?

The 540 has a longer wheelbase for a better ride, and is wider for better stability.

The 540 has an easier access fuel tank with a large opening on the fender so you dont have to raise the seat. The fuel tank is also 1/2 gallon bigger.

Thanks for the info! I talked to the local deere salesman yesterday and he through out some numbers regarding the weight of the frames within the x series. Basically the 100 series frame weighs 90 lbs, the 300 series 25lbs more, and the 500 series 25lbs more yet. I don't remember the actual numbers but the 500's do seem to have more metal in them.

They also had an old 318 next to 360. I really like that tractor. Front hydraulic outlets, and a "real" 3 point, shaft drive. Awesome. I wish they still made it!

How many hours will the air cooled engine last?

I've got a line on this machine at a local dealer but the number of hours seems high. I've offered 3500 and he's stuck at 4100.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-06 at 10.10.56 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-06-06 at 10.10.56 AM.png
    563.6 KB · Views: 341
   / What is the smallest Deere with a diff lock? #30  
How do you like the blade? I live in Minnesota and sometimes get over a foot of snow. The ends of the driveway will have 3 feet or more when the plows go by. Would a blade work to clear that kind of snow?

I would say that you would have to get after it when it was only about 6" or less and stay at it avery 6" or so. It is after all only a "garden tractor". As for the blade, I love it and do not regret buying it. It beats waiting for someone to get to me when it snows and then paying them to tear up my property and/or push stones into my yard.