What is this lifting ?? tongs for ??

/ What is this lifting ?? tongs for ?? #22  
1656793046671.png

Works for wood barrels the same way.

/ What is this lifting ?? tongs for ?? #23  
Here’s a pic of the ice tongs I got from my dad. He was born in 1900, so I’m guessing he actually used them in his ice box.

View attachment 752542
Not to change the subject but if your Dad was born 122yrs ago I'm guessing you are around 95 yrs old, so good for you.(y)

/ What is this lifting ?? tongs for ??
View attachment 752598

Works for wood barrels the same way.

That looks like a good possibility but it would have to be a small drum. The hooks wouldn't span a 55 gal drum which is about 35" tall. The hooks are only 14" long.

gg

/ What is this lifting ?? tongs for ?? #25  
They were also used for harvesting the ice. That was quite an industry, back before refrigeration made it into people’s homes.
Still used here in my town, by the Amish. The crazy thing - most don't know how to swim.

/ What is this lifting ?? tongs for ?? #26  
VroomVroom,

Of all the comments, I believe yours is closest to the actual use based upon its simple design (not bow legged for points to reach around an object), lack of leverage for driving the points into something ( no pivot point ), and no hand holds.

You are the winner of the mystery prize
I’m smarter than I look….

/ What is this lifting ?? tongs for ?? #27  
Not for a pot.
It would go plop.
You need one or three to stop the flop.
Yes you could be right there. It probably would upset

/ What is this lifting ?? tongs for ?? #29  
I suspect it was used like the horizontal drum lifter, but made for wooden nail or RR spikes kegs.

Bruce

/ What is this lifting ?? tongs for ?? #30  
You guys must be too young, those are early ear phones.
My sideways story ….. Into the ‘70’s the local icehouse was directly behind and owned by the funeral home. Icehouse sign said something like “Enter door on your right for ice sales.“
So as a teenager that’s what I do. Funky smell and I see lots of stainless steel carts & stuff. Uh, wrong door. :eek: