What is this thing?

/ What is this thing? #1  

Travelover

Elite Member
Tractor
B7100
OK, I admit it - I'm a junk picker. My neighbor was a long time shop teacher and now his widow is tossing out his old stuff. This tank on casters is split in the middle and appears to have a diaphragm between two chambers. The hose on top has a quick release fitting on the end with a shut off valve in the middle of the hose. The bottom has two valves which appear to operate like a tire valve. The top chamber contains an odorless liquid like a light oil.

Anyone have any idea what it was designed for?

Attachments

• IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 733
  • IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_0453.JPG
    IMG_0453.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_0454.JPG
    IMG_0454.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 367
   / What is this thing? #2  
Old, one man brake bleeder
did I win the prize ?
Jim
:)

/ What is this thing? #3  
Yep.. Mr Jimi nailed it. It's called a pressure bleeder and are used to bleed air from the hydraulic lines on car and light trucks brake systems.

/ What is this thing? #4  
Dang ! I was too late !! My pop had one of those too. No idea what ever happened to it.........

/ What is this thing?
OK, bonus question - how does it work? It appears to be in OK shape and I do my own brake work, so I could use it.

/ What is this thing? #6  
The bottom gets filled with pressurized air and the top filled with fresh brake fluid. This is kept separated by the bladder or diaphragm in the middle. There is a hose from the fluid side that has QD fittings. There are also a few different master cylinder adapters that are clamped to the master cylinder. The fluid hose connects to the adapter. The air pressure is set around 15~25 psi and this forces fluid thru the hose and applies pressure to the master cylinder. As you open the bleeder screws at the wheels, fresh fluid passes thru and also keeps the master full. That's about it. A very handy tool.

/ What is this thing?
Thanks to all for your answers and suggestions. I Googled this once I knew what it was and found it is still sold in essentially the same design for over 250 bucks.

/ What is this thing? #8  
Does that mean no prizes?
:D

/ What is this thing? #9  
Yup, that's what it is alright. That odorless liquid like a light oil is brake fluid which is also a great paint remover. In other words, keep it away from painted things you are fond of!

/ What is this thing?
MrJimi said:
Does that mean no prizes?
:D

I'm faxing everyone that answered a hundred dollar bill. Don't spend it all in one place!