What is this thing?

/ What is this thing? #1  

ljplum12

Bronze Member
Tractor
None
I bought a Bush Hog Finish Mower in an auction, and this was with it, but I don't think they belong together.
20170525_112627.jpg20170525_112635.jpg20170525_112640.jpg

/ What is this thing? #2  
It looks like a slip clutch. Some implements use those instead of shear pins. It very well could go with your cutter.

/ What is this thing? #4  
Rock knocker is right (indisputable 'photographic evidence' :thumbsup:)

From wiki: "The purpose of friction clutches is to connect a moving member to another that is moving at a different speed or stationary, often to synchronise the speeds, and/or to transmit power. Usually, as little slippage (difference in speeds) as possible between the two members is desired."

The springs dampen vibration.

/ What is this thing? #5  
Read up on the setup and requirement for the slip/ friction clutch for your attachment. But in general it replaces the shear bolt. If its not rusted together and the springs are adjusted correctly the two disc will slip when you get the brush hog in a bind. Usually one would loosen the bolts / springs up quite a bit and make the disc slip. Then tighten back to the correct torque for your setup. Not every one prefers them over a shear pin but I for one am a big fan. No more stoping work and dealing with the frustrating, hot, dusty, tinkering on getting everything lined up to replace the broken shear pins.

/ What is this thing? #6  
A Finish Mower doesn't need a slip clutch.

/ What is this thing? #8  
All the finish mowers I've seen have been belt driven... I think leejohn is right.

/ What is this thing? #9  
Also, that particular one looks the worse for wear: I see one bent bolt. Might be fine w a bit of tinkering.
Jim