What is this warning light?

/ What is this warning light? #11  
It does. Is #8 the air filter/flow?

I did not check the cable (it goes straight from the positive terminal on the battery to the starter, then smaller wires go to lights, etc.) or the voltage--I was in the field--but I did try to start with cables directly to the starter and got the same result. If it is the cable I am going to be real irritated with myself for getting a new starter! I will know in a few days and post the result.

I'm already irritated with myself for removing the tractor battery and replacing it with the (bigger, stronger) one from my old mercedes diesel that was sitting in my pickup, awaiting installation. Now the car won't start. :hissyfit: I will swap it back when I put the new starter in. Mahindra batteries are in a really inconvenient location, it seems.
- The other JD manual I found had a better image of the indicator and also showed the description which instructed to clean/replace the air filter.
- Jumper cables directly on the starter should eliminate battery cable issues as the problem.

/ What is this warning light?
- The other JD manual I found had a better image of the indicator and also showed the description which instructed to clean/replace the air filter.
- Jumper cables directly on the starter should eliminate battery cable issues as the problem.

I think so, too. It only started when I doubled the voltage by attaching another battery to the starter with the tractor battery already connected. Both batteries were good (I checked later).

Oddly, it started again and again with only one battery, that day. It "fixed itself".

Or, it didn't . The next day I got the same weak/no start. I repeated all of the steps I tried already, and really stared at the starter in a hateful way. I think that's it.

Unfortunately I filled it with diesel and the fuel line/banjo fitting has to come off to get the starter out. I now have special clothes and a special spot on the ground for starter fixes.

Thanks for your reply.

/ What is this warning light? #13  
Sorry I'm late to the party, but my manual confirms what you now already know - Mahindra calls it a "Air Filter Clog Indicator", they advise it comes on when the filter needs cleaned so you might try that before getting new ones.

Sorry I'm late to the party, but my manual confirms what you now already know - Mahindra calls it a "Air Filter Clog Indicator", they advise it comes on when the filter needs cleaned so you might try that before getting new ones.

Never too late! The filters are on the way but I will try blowing out the existing ones and may keep the new ones in boxes. I am just glad that it isn't a more serious problem. Judging from the simplicity of the engine, I really doubted that the indecipherable icon concerned a subtle issue, and the tractor seems to run fine. When my manuals arrive I will change all fluids and filters and become more familiar with it. Thanks for your (definitive) response.

Just a quick follow-up up.

I pulled the filters and shook them off, then blew compressed air from the inside of the outer filter, reinstalled them, and no more light! A rare success!

Thanks to all for your comments.

/ What is this warning light? #17  
Good is this life....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

/ What is this warning light? #18  

Like Charlie V said. Never too late. I just replaced the power steering cylinder seals and this light was on when I fired everything up. I guess I must have rested my knee on the filter when I was pouring in the fluid? Gonna shake out the filter tomorrow and be a happy camper! Thanks

/ What is this warning light? #19  
This is the airflow light. There is a sensor with 2 wires on it just after the air filter. If water sits in the little box where the wires plug in it will short across them and the light comes on.