Oil & Fuel What is this?

/ What is this? #11  
My diesel fuel caps on the JD's are plastic,,, as well as the tank.
Maybe plastic is the right choice,,, for a change?

I never see that,,,

Yep, plastic tank and plastic cap ARE a good thing in this case.

/ What is this? #12  
So a living organism can survive in diesel fuel? Seriously?

Yes, certain bacteria love oil, as well as the paint, and plastics made from them.

They can eat your siding on your house, the paint off your gutters, your shingles, and the synthetic rubber used to trim your car. :eek:

/ What is this? #13  
Sell the tractor as quick as you can before it infects something else .

/ What is this?
I think your right. Looks exactly like rust to me.

/ What is this?
I looked up pictures of bacteria on net and don't see anything like that. So next question is if I drain the tank then fill it with fresh fuel will that stop the rust? I know it won't remove it but will it halt the process?

/ What is this? #17  
I know it won't remove it but will it halt the process?

Stop storing fuel (and the tractor) where temp changes cause moisture to be taken into the tank.

The tractor (and the fuel cans, for that matter) can be stopped by keeping the tanks FULL!

My IH has a steel tank, and cap,, I use the tractor, then fill the tank.

/ What is this?
Stop storing fuel (and the tractor) where temp changes cause moisture to be taken into the tank.

The tractor (and the fuel cans, for that matter) can be stopped by keeping the tanks FULL!

My IH has a steel tank, and cap,, I use the tractor, then fill the tank.

Agreed. Actually I had it stored for 3 years now in a insulated barn. BUT the previous owner left it outside. It only has 600 or so hours and was a sun queen for many years before I bought it. I had it repainted as it was so tight and felt like new I just couldn't stand to see it look so rough. Wish now I would have inspected the fuel tank a little closer. Lol

IMG_3876.JPG
Image 1.jpg

Last edited:
   / What is this?
This is my 2810 with just over 400 hours.
IMG_1900.JPG

/ What is this?
And my other 3910 with 668 hours. Runs like a new one but looks like a hag. By way picture was before I corrected the muffle position. Lol

IMG_1918.JPG

Last edited: