Oil & Fuel What is this?

/ What is this?
And my 4600SU

IMG_0606.JPG

/ What is this? #22  
Besides buying a new fuel tank, if it is rusty inside the tank you can drain it, clean it and put some fuel resistant epoxy in it.

/ What is this?
I was just curious if I keep the tank full from here on out will it stop the rust process? I know the rust will still be in there but if it no longer causes any issues then I would be OK with it.

/ What is this? #24  
I was just curious if I keep the tank full from here on out will it stop the rust process? I know the rust will still be in there but if it no longer causes any issues then I would be OK with it.

Once you have corrosion, it probably will continue to some extent, unless you treat it.

/ What is this?
Yeah your probably right. I'm going to try it though and if it doesn't work I'm just getting a new tank. Found out there not that expensive so much less headache.

/ What is this? #26  

I have seen perfectly clean steel tanks,,, with a rusted cap.

You need to do some looking.

/ What is this? #27  
I too have rust on my fuel cap, never thought it might be bacteria. I believe I'll scrape a little off and see if it sticks to a magnet.

/ What is this? #28  
I too have rust on my fuel cap, never thought it might be bacteria. I believe I'll scrape a little off and see if it sticks to a magnet.

Rust is converted iron,, many times it is non-magnetic. In some cases, it is partially magnetic.

/ What is this? #29  

Why wouldn't the scrapings be magnetic? It's steel.

It could be rusting from condensation too.

Bacteria is what they say is eating the titanic though.

/ What is this? #30  
CAD and Ray,
If I get around to doing the magnet test I'll post the result. I'm guessing a magnet would attract partially magnetic rust and not bacteria. If it's totally non-magnetic rust I'm still in the dark.

Last edited: