What is this?

/ What is this? #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
Before I bought my Yanmar 180 someone removed the fuel filter, adding a new one in a different location and adding a device where the original filter belonged. I initially thought it was a second filter, but it has a wire going from it to under the dash. In the attached photo, you can see the new white filter mounted high on the firewall and a hose going down to the unknown device near the bottom of the photo. You can see what may be a small 1' diameter prefilter (?), then the device about 2" diameter & 3" long to the right. The wire in question is orange colored, goes below the device and you can see yellow a connector just below what I am guessing is a prefilter. You can't see it very well, but it goes from there to under the dash. The wire in question IS NOT the blue wire that goes to ground.

So, what is this thing? A boost pump?

Attachments

• 878674-Yanmar 001B.gif
    878674-Yanmar 001B.gif
    67.7 KB · Views: 529
   / What is this? #2  
looks exactly like the fuel pump on my Onan generator.

/ What is this? #3  
It is a fuel pump, added because your old system was gravity, but the owner wanted a big filter, which he had to mount where gravity would not work.
So, he put the filter where he had room, up high, and put a pump on it to pull the fuel through it.
Turn the key on and listen. It probably makes a fluttering type noise.

/ What is this? #4  
I'd agree.. looks like a fuel pump.. might have an integral shuitoff solenoid so you can key-shut downt he tractor.. might also have a water trap..

Soundguy

/ What is this?
I am sure you guys are right on, especially the explanation about the new filter & gravity feed needing the new pump. However, I hear no noise when I turn on the ignition, but that's another post.

Thanks for your input.

/ What is this? #6  
Lots of luck fixing this contraption if it ever fails.