What kind of pistol?

/ What kind of pistol? #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
I've got a cougar on the property and as some suggested, maybe I should start packing heat.

Got out my old Ruger Blackhawk which I haven't fired in 25 years, but I really liked and was pretty accurate with. Oops! With arthritis in my thumbs, I can't cock the thing. Can't line up the thumb with the hammer. I could probably fire 2 handed, but that may not be convenient if I need to shoot quick.

My only experience with double actions was with the S&W's I qualified with in the Air Force and that wasn't made for my hand. Actually I don't think the tiny grip and the location of the trigger were made for any human hands. I did make expert because I cheated on the rapid fire portion by cocking it in recoil. I'm not sure I'd be very accurate with a DA, firing in a hurry.

In the Air Guard we used Berretas and I wasn't impressed with them. Balance is wrong for me. I like the heavy muzzle that the Ruger has.

So what's a good option? Whatever I end up with, it has to be able to fire hollow points for stopping power. Cheap ammo would be good so I could afford to practice. I don't want something real big; no need to upset the neighbors, I'd rather they not notice it.

/ What kind of pistol? #2  
I've got a cougar on the property and as some suggested, maybe I should start packing heat.

Got out my old Ruger Blackhawk which I haven't fired in 25 years, but I really liked and was pretty accurate with. Oops! With arthritis in my thumbs, I can't cock the thing. Can't line up the thumb with the hammer. I could probably fire 2 handed, but that may not be convenient if I need to shoot quick.

My only experience with double actions was with the S&W's I qualified with in the Air Force and that wasn't made for my hand. Actually I don't think the tiny grip and the location of the trigger were made for any human hands. I did make expert because I cheated on the rapid fire portion by cocking it in recoil. I'm not sure I'd be very accurate with a DA, firing in a hurry.

In the Air Guard we used Berretas and I wasn't impressed with them. Balance is wrong for me. I like the heavy muzzle that the Ruger has.

So what's a good option? Whatever I end up with, it has to be able to fire hollow points for stopping power. Cheap ammo would be good so I could afford to practice. I don't want something real big; no need to upset the neighbors, I'd rather they not notice it.

Are you set against a rifle/shotgun? Much easier to shoot accurately IMO.
Hollow-points aren't the end all be all for stopping power. They're good for 2-legged predators, but generally not 4-legged. You might be better off looking for a heavy bullet, hard-cast lead is excellent at penetration of thick skinned/furred animals- and breaks bone very well.

I like Ruger double-action, I have a few super redhawks. You might look at the 45colt.

/ What kind of pistol? #3  
Glock Model 22 would be a nice one, it's got a very easy trigger system (But no safety) and shoots .40S&W, plus has a fifteen round magazine. I carry a Glock 23 (little brother to the 22) concealed every day, even when I'm at home, the gun is on and ready to go.

With your arthritis, an auto loader is probably the best way to go. You should be able to buy a Glock 22 for $550 or less.

Just make sure you wear ear protection. Those things are freaking loud.

/ What kind of pistol? #4  
Hard to beat a Glock 23 40cal. 250 bullets run $77 at WalMart here at home. Another option is a HighPoint 40 cal. semi auto rifle. 12 shots, short barrel, nice safe and about $280. Good luck and if you go Glock, be sure you know it inside and out as the safe is on the trigger!

/ What kind of pistol? #5  
Smith and Wesson M&P 40 cal. Best pistol I have ever had. It has back inserts for the grip, so you can adjust the grip size and feel to your hand. It also seems to have a very low straight back recoil, doesn't twist in your hand.

I added a under barrel rail mounted laser, you can get a light and I'm sure other things for it.

It also has several frame sizes and they make a .22 cal version that looks and feels like the larger cal ones. So you can practice with .22 ammo (yes you would have to buy 2 guns) if you wanted to. It can be purchased in several cal. 45, 40, sig 357, 9mm etc.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...4_750001_750051_757753_-1_757752_757751_image

/ What kind of pistol? #6  
I would get a single shot shot gun loaded with #8 trap loads get a short barrel and if it has screw in chokes take the choke out. The reason for #8 is that they do not carry so the neighbors would be save but at close range they will cut a hole. Perhaps some of the western TBN's could verify but I do believe a cat is easy to kill no need for a hand cannon

/ What kind of pistol? #7  
I have had a Ruger P89 that I kind of liked (it was a 9mm but accurate in its day). The S&W autos are good guns also, have a TD4006(?) in Stainless that is a very heavy pistol with a large grip.

I have a Glock Model 22 Gen4 in 40 cal and I really like it. Something I like to tell people with Glock's is unless you are going to be proficient and practice with these pistols, don't buy one. With a disconnecter on the trigger and no safety, it can case problems. A safety will do more good for people who do not practice with their firearms to the point they are proficient with them. Another consideration with the Glocks as compared to S&W if you have kids or grandkids around, you can drop the mag out of the S&W and it will not fire but the Glock, Ruger, and I believe the Taurus will all still fire.

You can change out the grips on many of the semi auto pistols to get one that will fit your hand. Just my :2cents:

/ What kind of pistol?
Couple other things I should have mentioned:

I'm on just 10 acres. Near the front of my property a neighbor has a house 150 from the property line and a shop 50 ft from the line. His 10 acres is 330 ft. wide, just like mine. A little way back from the street and just beyond that neighbor, there is another house. In the other direction, there is another 10 acre parcel, 330 ft. wide (covered by timber), then 20 feet beyond that, there is another house. Our house is in the back corner of our property.

So actually I'm not sure I should use anything other than a shotgun, but I'm not keen on lugging a shotgun around when I am spraying weeds (backpack), etc. I just want a weapon in case I come across the critter, as my friend did in his back yard where a cougar had killed a deer. There is plenty of hiding cover on the property and plan A is to get rid of that. After that, I think the area will be pretty cougar unfriendly.

/ What kind of pistol? #9  
Taurus makes what they call the judge revolver. It shoots .410 shotgun or .45 ammo.

Not really what you wanted, but it is a shotgun pistol.

I don't know anyone who has one or what the recoil would be, but have read some good things about it.

/ What kind of pistol? #10  
I'd carry that Ruger and learn to shoot with both hands,cocking(if you are right handed) with your left thumb.Watch some cowboy action shooting on TV.