Flail Mower What knives for a Caroni Flail???

/ What knives for a Caroni Flail??? #1  

jgrreed

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4720
Hi Everyone,

I've been away for a long while. I hope that everyone is doing well.

I've just recently moved back to the prairie's and grabbed 21 acres with 5-6 acres of nice lawn, and the rest in nice flat pasture.

I'm going to give my 72" Caroni a try on the lawn grass before I shell-out for a finishing mower and was wondering if anyone knows what knives work well. I have to "Y" blades right now, but have heard the cups/scoops/P type do a nice job on lawn grass.

Also, I have R1 ag tires on my 4720, and I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on if they'll be too hard on the lawn or not. I know if I head out when the ground is wet/soft I'll be in trouble, but if it's dry, do you think I'll be OK??

Any input is appreciated!!

-Jeremy.

/ What knives for a Caroni Flail??? #2  
I'd get a Flailmaster catalog and see which of the scoop knives would fit on the clevis. I don't think there would be any benefit to getting the finish Y knives as there just would not be enough of them to cover more than what your heavy duty knives are already cutting. The heavy duty knives cut the same way as the finish Y knives there are just half as many stations for them on the rotor because they are heavier.

/ What knives for a Caroni Flail??? #3  
I would think sharpness rather than shape or weight would be more critical when mowing grass. Seems to be the controling factor when I cut grass with my ditchmower, or my JD 25A.
4' has hammers and 6'6" jd has flat edge standard knives. The hammers stay sharper longer when mowing rough stuff, but the stock 25a blades still do a fair job on grass after a day in rough stuff, but not as well as the hammers. If you never mow rough stuff, just grass, save the expense of the hammers and keep it as a backup set of blades so you can sharpen the blades more often (which decreases lifespan)
David from jax