What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments??

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #31  
I have owned a Y2K GMC Yukon XL 2500 since it was new, and love to brag that I have saved tens of thousands of dollars by keeping it all this time rather than "trading up" as GM would have me want to do. Mine is very low mileage (currently about 47000) but has never been in the shop for parts or service unless you count the one set of new tires it had installed back in late 2014. I have religiously changed the oil and filter every year and it has also had three new batteries installed, as well as two sets of radiator hoses and belts installed as well as coolant flushes and refills as well as a change of both drive belts each time. I have kept track: My total outlay for parts and service over that period has been probably a total of $2700 spent for everything involved inclusive of a pair of rear window motors and one set of new rear brake discs and pads. I still have a set of new front discs and pads ready to install. I should mention that everything done in the way of maintaining my truck aside from the new tires I have done myself.

Now...my GMC has always been 100% reliable and has never let me down in any way. It amazes me that GM now prices HALF TON models of my truck ($33,000 new) at a price of $75 grand. My selling dealer is long gone but they GM knows I have the truck so they send me email and snail mail all the time to trade in and trade up.

Makes me laugh...what would be the purpose of doing that? No thanks. I will stick with my Y2K model. I always wonder why so so many people just HAVE to HAVE something new that depreciates a third once you drive it home. NO THANKS.

I drive a highly modified 95 and a half Toyota Tacoma and have no intention of getting anything else in the foreseeable future. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I also have a spare engine, tranny and transfer case just in case something major does give out.

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #32  
:laughing:

Why does yours have rust cancer? My truck has zero rust and paint bubbling. That is in despite of Michigan's constant salt spreading. My point in the OP was so that so many people pay big bucks for a new vehicle but after the payments are done they either trade in on something NEWER, BIGGER, BETTER rather than wanting to take the time to maintain and care for an older and paid for vehicle. I truthfully think the real reason for many people wanting to have a new vehicle is for the stupid reason: "Oh, I have to unload this 4 year old POS because it will cost me SO MUCH down the road..." Bull Crap. The bodies today last forever if you keep them clean, and mechanical parts last a long time. My GMC cost me $300 for new window motors. WOW....and that was at the 14 year old mark. Never fails to amaze me how people p*ss away tens of thousands of dollars a year thinking "Newer, bigger. better..." Excuse me while I go check the mark on my 401K not paying $600 a month has mattered over a 14 year period....:laughing:

Why did you buy that vehicle new?

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #33  
Why do people rip out and throw out old serviceable, good quality stuff and replace it with modern JUNK?

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #35  
Sometimes the reason to get a new one is, "Just because I can and to keep the economy moving." I have an 02 Duramax dually GMC. Bought new and isn't worth that much anymore with 122k miles but I just love driving it. The wife has been hounding me to get a new one and generally I would jump on that opportunity, but I just can't bring myself to even shop for one.

I'm driving a 2000 with 220K miles and I'm the same way. I tell my wife I'll get a newer truck when it hits 300K. :)

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #36  
For that new car smell.

Had a car salesman tell me one time the he wished he had invented and patented that smell. Wouldn't be selling cars for sure. :)

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #37  
I'm driving a 2000 with 223,000 miles. It's on it's last leg mostly due to rust. I'll replace it this year. I paid $1500 for it and have spent about $500 on parts over 2 years. I'll buy another used truck with a 5-7.5 k budget. Id rather buy equipment over a new vehicle.

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #38  
Y'all go ahead and spend those hard earned dollars on new. I keep my 1990 f250 super cab 7.3 IDI diesel. Closest thing to a computer is the transmission controller. May have 6 k in it that includes a set of tires, used after market Banks turbo, conversion to hydroboost brakes. Serveral other mods. Actual repair items glow plugs,water pump, fix radiator, battery cables, u joints, center bearing. Did have to replace the starter adapter plate previous owner left started bolt loose. Running empty between 16 to 19 mpg with tractor and all implements had a gross of 13 k still got 12mpg

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #39  
That new car smell is supposed to be poisonous anyway.

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #40  
Y'all go ahead and spend those hard earned dollars on new. I keep my 1990 f250 super cab 7.3 IDI diesel. Closest thing to a computer is the transmission controller. May have 6 k in it that includes a set of tires, used after market Banks turbo, conversion to hydroboost brakes. Serveral other mods. Actual repair items glow plugs,water pump, fix radiator, battery cables, u joints, center bearing. Did have to replace the starter adapter plate previous owner left started bolt loose. Running empty between 16 to 19 mpg with tractor and all implements had a gross of 13 k still got 12mpg

Not everybody lives in a region where salt is not poured onto the road by the tons per mile per season.