What pans, containers, funnels to have for 1st service?

/ What pans, containers, funnels to have for 1st service? #1  

davrow

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK27HST
I don't have any oil change equipment. What would you all recommend I have on hand (besides the fluids and filters!) to do the oil and filter changes?

Special funnels? How large of drip pans? What do you put it in to dispose of it? Filter wrenches? Can used fluids be mixed when taking for disposal?

All hints and tips appreciated.

/ What pans, containers, funnels to have for 1st service? #2  
Seems my DK50 used about 11 or 12 gallons of hydraulic fluid. Just be sure you have a large enough drain pan on hand. After filling with fresh fluid, I drained the old back into the 5 gallon buckets that were now empty. I use that old fluid to help with burning brush piles.

Also, Kioti employs a massive Ape to tighten the hydraulic filters on the DK50 series. A chain wrench is mandatory.

/ What pans, containers, funnels to have for 1st service? #3  
I don't have any oil change equipment. What would you all recommend I have on hand (besides the fluids and filters!) to do the oil and filter changes? Special funnels? How large of drip pans? What do you put it in to dispose of it? Filter wrenches? Can used fluids be mixed when taking for disposal? All hints and tips appreciated.

I bought a recycle oil container from Autozone and take the used oil back to them. You can mix oils however no antifreeze.

/ What pans, containers, funnels to have for 1st service? #4  
You'll need 8 gallons hydro fluid for your CK27hst and approx another gallon for the front axle if that's what your using. I just get 2 - 5 gallon pails for my change on a CK30hst. Don't forget the two drain plugs at the outside of the rear axles. You'll need an average sized funnel to help with filling and as mentioned, a good filter wrench because the first time off, either filter, is rough. Drain in whatever you have or get two 5 gallon drain pans. The 5 gallon size is easier to move and empty. You can mix oils for recycle/disposal. I put it in previous used 5 gallon pails then haul off to recycle. Engine will take six quarts of diesel rated oil and there are two drain plugs on the engine pan.

/ What pans, containers, funnels to have for 1st service? #5  
You'll need 8 gallons hydro fluid for your CK27hst and approx another gallon for the front axle if that's what your using. I just get 2 - 5 gallon pails for my change on a CK30hst. Don't forget the two drain plugs at the outside of the rear axles. You'll need an average sized funnel to help with filling and as mentioned, a good filter wrench because the first time off, either filter, is rough. Drain in whatever you have or get two 5 gallon drain pans. The 5 gallon size is easier to move and empty. You can mix oils for recycle/disposal. I put it in previous used 5 gallon pails then haul off to recycle. Engine will take six quarts of diesel rated oil and there are two drain plugs on the engine pan.

I just bought a 2012 CK27 with 190 hrs...great tractor so far !! I will be due the 200 hr. service soon and what is recommended for type of hyd. and engine oil ? Do i need to go with OEM Kioti filters ?

/ What pans, containers, funnels to have for 1st service? #6  
Attached is a Kioti chart previously posted by another member showing fluids. There has been much member debate on dino or synthetic oil for the engine along with the weight of the oil and OEM or after market filters with I guess no conclusions. Just make sure the oil is rated for diesel engines. I don't think anyone has lost an engine because of a particular diesel oil. Doing the service close to the time schedule is more important for longevity. Hydro fluid debate is not as bad. View attachment Lubricants-Chart-2012-07-20.pdf

If you have a tractor supply center near you, members posted having good results with the TSC premiun universal tractor fluid that is rated for transmissions, differentials, wet brakes, and hydraulics. You need an oil that works with all these sections. The original Kioti fluid is a 10w-30 multi weight fluid. I just use oem filters that are unfortunately only available from a Kioti dealer, order via internet if no dealers close, or have seen them on ebay. Aftermarket air, fuel and engine filters are easy to find after cross-referenced. NAPA is an easy start to cross. Hydro and hst filters are a little harder and sometimes not at all.

I don't think you can go wrong with any oils as long as it meets specs.

/ What pans, containers, funnels to have for 1st service? #7  
Attached is a Kioti chart previously posted by another member showing fluids. There has been much member debate on dino or synthetic oil for the engine along with the weight of the oil and OEM or after market filters with I guess no conclusions. Just make sure the oil is rated for diesel engines. I don't think anyone has lost an engine because of a particular diesel oil. Doing the service close to the time schedule is more important for longevity. Hydro fluid debate is not as bad. View attachment 419592

If you have a tractor supply center near you, members posted having good results with the TSC premiun universal tractor fluid that is rated for transmissions, differentials, wet brakes, and hydraulics. You need an oil that works with all these sections. The original Kioti fluid is a 10w-30 multi weight fluid. I just use oem filters that are unfortunately only available from a Kioti dealer, order via internet if no dealers close, or have seen them on ebay. Aftermarket air, fuel and engine filters are easy to find after cross-referenced. NAPA is an easy start to cross. Hydro and hst filters are a little harder and sometimes not at all.

I don't think you can go wrong with any oils as long as it meets specs.

Thanks so much Victor ! I have never been one to go cheap on filters....it does make a difference !! Yes, i have a TSC near me. Going to look at their box blades as well.

Chuck

/ What pans, containers, funnels to have for 1st service? #8  
I used a 62 quart "tote" from Dollar General for the catch pan. I highly suggest getting a chain wrench for the hydraulic filter. As said don't forget the final drive drains by the rear axle. You get another gallon or more out there. I put the used fluid back in 5 gallon pails the new oil came in. and took it to the auto parts store. Some people burn it in oil stoves etc. Think about how you are going to get the several gallons of new oil back into the transmission.. I poured it in with a funnel. That sucked. There is a thread going now about which pump system to buy to transfer oil from the 5 gallon pails into the tractor. The little D cell pump I bought to do it with did not work. The viscosity of the oil was too great so that the transfer rate was way too slow.

/ What pans, containers, funnels to have for 1st service? #9  
Draining a large volume of hydro fluid and transferring it for disposal can be a huge pain. I use a Roughneck 15 gal. oil dolly with integral rotary hand pump from Northern Equipment, Amazon, etc. Roughneck Low-Profile Oil Drain Dolly with Pump — 15-Gallon Capacity | Low Profile| Northern Tool + Equipment Can be used for all recyclable tractor and automotive oils, and the low profile lets it fit under road vehicles for double duty. $170, but sure makes messy jobs quicker and easier.

For filling hydro oil after a change (and for future topping up), I've started using a $54 Westward bucket pump from Zoro (online discount subsidiary of Grainger) after doing a little research on various inexpensive bucket pumps. WESTWARD Lever Action Bucket Pump, Oil, Up to 4 oz 5NUD5 - G0497594 at Zoro There are cheaper bucket pumps, but this has an honest, high delivery rate (I measured it at nearly 4 oz per stroke with tractor hydro fluid), and is well made for the price. Here's a link to a short review I just posted in another thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/oil-fuel-lubricants/333778-how-you-dispensing-gear-oil-2.html

With this combination, you can leave the old hydro oil in the the drain dolly until after you pump the new oil into the tractor from the 5 gal buckets it comes in. Then, put the original plastic tops back on the buckets and use the drain dolly's rotary pump to transfer the waste oil to the buckets using the bung hole. Screw the bung caps back on and you can then haul the waste off for disposal without worrying much about it spilling in your truck/car.

Another handy thing to have in your garage/shop before you tackle a big fluid change is a bag of oil-absorbing granules. I get mine from TSC, but they're widely available, e.g. Oil-Dri Premium Absorbent, 25 lbs - Walmart.com Of course, I work so neatly that I've never needed it. :rolleyes:

/ What pans, containers, funnels to have for 1st service? #10  
You will need an assortment of filter wrenches or an adjustable chain wrench to fit different size filters. Many store have plastic 4 1/2 gallon drain pans cheap. You might get a couple of them or go with the more expensive higher capacity drain pans that can roll under the tractor. I have a few long funnels. I also use a manual pump for 5 gallon pails (avail. at TSC stores) to refill the hydraulic fluid. It takes a lot of pumping but gets the job done without too much spillage.
I put all used oils in 5 gallon pails with a screw on lid. Most auto parts store will take used oil to recycle or the local land fill usually has a used oil recycle tank. NO antifreeze or water can be in the oil. There may also be a shop in your area that burns waste oil for heat that will take it. At some point I'm going to install a waste oil burner in my garage for heat in the winter so I've been saving my used oil for that day.