What size pipe did you use for your rear blade’s cutting edge?

/ What size pipe did you use for your rear blade’s cutting edge? #11  
Re: What size pipe did you use for your rear blade痴 cutting edge?

You posted a chart on tubing, not pipe

Edit: I didn't pay close attention to your chart but you are correct in the OD sizing. My original post was concerning the statement that schedule 40 was one OD while Schedule 80 was larger which is not correct. The OD on both schedules of piping is the same regardless of thickness. Tubing OD changes with the schedule thickness so that the ID remains the same. PIPING OD doesn't change regardless of schedule thickness until it reaches 14" nominal pipe size when the ID remains the same just like tubing.

/ What size pipe did you use for your rear blade’s cutting edge? #12  
pipe-schedules.png

/ What size pipe did you use for your rear blade’s cutting edge? #13  

View attachment api spec 5L.pdfSee table 4 of attachment on API 5L piping standard.

/ What size pipe did you use for your rear blade’s cutting edge? #15  
The point I was trying to make with s219 is when I said I am using 1/2" pipe, I'm not talking about the outside diameter, I am talking about the inside diameter which is how you buy pipe. I should say, nominal inside diameter so I don't get called out on that too.

I can see in the charts the O.D. doesn't change according to what schedule pipe it is, but it is still called 1/2" pipe and is .500 plus inside diameter.

/ What size pipe did you use for your rear blade’s cutting edge? #16  
I suspect nominal pipe sizes were once accurate inside diameter, when the walls were weak, thick lead. Later iron pipe needed to be the same outside diameter to fit the fittings.

Bruce

/ What size pipe did you use for your rear blade’s cutting edge? #17  
Stupid question which has probably been covered in another post, but how do you cut the length-wise slot in the pipe? I don't have a cutting torch so is there a mechanical method that isn't too terribly time intensive?

/ What size pipe did you use for your rear blade’s cutting edge? #18  
Stupid question which has probably been covered in another post, but how do you cut the length-wise slot in the pipe? I don't have a cutting torch so is there a mechanical method that isn't too terribly time intensive?

An air cutoff tool would work, but take a while. A cutting wheel on a grinder would be faster, but WEAR A FACE SHIELD and a good jacket that covers your throat. When those wheels let go, they'll do some serious damage. (if you're curious, do a google image search)

Otherwise, find a friend with a plasma cutter and a straight edge.

/ What size pipe did you use for your rear blade’s cutting edge? #19  

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a plasma cutter. As was mentioned, a grinder with a cutoff blade would work or a bandsaw with good guides and fixturing to keep the pipe from rolling while cutting a side out would work but would have a high PIB factor.

/ What size pipe did you use for your rear blade’s cutting edge? #20  

Cutting V 's in the flat of a piece of 2x4 holds pipe pretty well...

A sawzalls will cut the pipe... Get a GOOD blade, and it cuts fairly fast...

SR