What size tractor can we get by with?

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #101  
HST which relies on pumping hydraulic fluid isn't the equivalent of a CVT relying on a variable belt and pulley transmission by a long shot.

5030 brought up the hydraulic shuttle shift which is a good transmission, but I'm not sure it is available on the smaller tractors. However, there is a case to be made for buying a larger tractor that will be less stressed in operation than trying to economize by buying a smaller tractor to save money, but that won't hold up as well as the larger tractor.
I was surprised when I looked up the OP's B8200 to find that it was available with optional power steering as well as a transmission choice of either a 9 speed gear box or a surprisingly modern three range HST.
I wonder if the OP's machine has either of those? PS & HST sure do make chore work easier.

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #102  
I've got about 2k hours seat time between my two tractors. I _think_ I've got a pretty good feel for what one can do with a tractor. I'm on 40 acres. Lots of clearing (mostly cleaning up). Lots of activity dealing with firewood (personal use). Probably now have about 20 acres that are mowed: mowing around trees and ditches. BOTH tractors are HST: I operate in tighter quarters.

My B7800, 30hp small frame, has been an absolute beast- when I need to do hardcore, initial, clearing it's this tractor that I grab. [look at my avatar; look in my picture albums] The B7800 is nearly impossible to break: I've blown out a bucket cylinder and bent up a lower 3-pt arm; currently facing the need to replace a front axle seal; this is pretty much it after 12 years and 1,200 hrs. Landpride tooth bar on the bucket. Loaded rears. Essentials. The quarter-inching valve for the 3-pt is horrible but I manage with it. No emissions stuff to be concerned with.

My Kioti NX55 has almost 900 hrs on it now and after a rocky start (new machine issues) it's been a very good tractor. This tractor is essential for my lifting needs and was instrumental in a lot of fence clearing work (1,200 lb box blade is essential for doing such work).

Identify your use/application requirements. Understand your time constraints: one can do a lot of work with a smaller/lesser-powered machine but it takes longer (sometimes haste can end up in breaking stuff, so slower is not always a bad thing). LIFTING or heavy dirt work are things that requires a larger tractor. How large? One will always find something that one's machine cannot do. If you try to get a machine that will 100% do everything then that's a machine that'll likely be under-utilized most of the time. Larger machines are more expensive to maintain: if one enjoys draining and filling gallons and gallons of hydraulic fluid then my hat's off to you. If I run across a need for more power I RENT it: something to be said about renting more industrial machines- you don't have to be so careful as they're far more durable than farm tractors, break something on your tractor and it can end up being more costly than if you'd rented equipment. I often rent excavators: great machines for digging and hardcore clearing.

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #103  
I had to chuckle about the gear drive…we are old school. I refused to buy a new 4 runner for years because it had an automatic transmission. I barely tolerate the automatic but I drew the line at CVT and it just seemed to me that the hydrostatic is kind if the tractor equivalent of a CVT.
HSTs work on hydraulic pressure being managed by a swash plate: there are actual gear ranges. CVTs, kind of a misnomer in that they're not a transmission in the classic sense in that they really don't have gears- think of a rheostat, operate using belts and such: think UTV/ATV. What we refer to as "automatic" transmissions in cars and trucks have torque converters, CVTs and HSTs do not have such: torque converters, more modern ones, are actually really good- there have been some really good automatic transmissions, and there's also been some crappy ones- but, their fundamental properties are IMO vastly superior to CVTs (CVTs are another wild shot at improving fuel efficiency, an effort at energy savings [and providing marketing hype]- at the expense of less durability, sigh, but I digress...).

I'll note that my actual knowledge on CVTs is very limited. I just know that I have zero interest in having anything with one.

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #104  
Some automobile CVTs do use torque converters - not that it matters much for this conversation :)

FWIW, I'm a (relatively inexperienced) HST fan. Everything else on the tractor is hydraulic, why not take advantage of that for the "go" pedal as well. The tight space applications I have are made a bit less scary and easier to work with by the HST.

Just some noise from the peanut gallery....

Zoltan

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #105  
HST which relies on pumping hydraulic fluid isn't the equivalent of a CVT relying on a variable belt and pulley transmission by a long shot.

5030 brought up the hydraulic shuttle shift which is a good transmission, but I'm not sure it is available on the smaller tractors. However, there is a case to be made for buying a larger tractor that will be less stressed in operation than trying to economize by buying a smaller tractor to save money, but that won't hold up as well as the larger tractor.
The smallest machine I've found with a Power Shuttle are the Massey Ferguson 1740M. It's not a cheap machine, but it does look like a fantastic tractor.

For the rear blade, a bit if elevation, and some leeway or buffer, I dont Think a 40hp machine is Too much, but its expensive at $37,500.

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #106  
There's one issue with HSTs (other than one has less HP at the PTO and that there's more hydraulic fluid to deal with) and that's that if you lose hydraulic power you are dead in the water. It's happened to me, once. Had a woody brush stalk pop up and peel off the hydraulic return hose from a hard pipe on my B7800: there's a hole in a channel underneath to access this and that's exactly where that piece of brush found to attack!. Having only experienced this in 2k hrs of operation I'd say that it really should be anything to keep you up at night in worry.

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #107  
Hi Interesting topic, we use our tractor about the same. I started with some old gear when I had a fair bit to do but now everything is set up I’ve got a little 29hp Tym, In regard to brands I was worried when I brought this but having had it for 2 years and not had a issue really happy with it ( over here they are a bit cheaper ). Also was worried about the hydrostatic to start with but love it now, Weight is a issue when using the blade but one way is to put water in the tyres although I haven’t bothered

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #108  
Sorry 4 wheel drive is a must, had 2 wheel and times it would have been great o have 4 wheel were plenty

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #109  
If it'll fit where you need it to go, get any 30-35 HP with a hydrostatic drive. For the work you mentioned (especially the loader work), you'll find a hydro more effective, more intuitive, and less likely to get torn up when you're using it. I'm not sure when the last time you used a properly working hydrostatic drive unit, but they've gotten a lot better over the years. Make sure you get a 4WD.

The LS MT2 series might work well for you.

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #110  
You don't have to disk up a pasture to renovate it. For example look at Polyface farm and Joel Salatin's story of what it was like in the beginning, They have never turned any soil ever and there pasture's are beautiful.