What Snake is this?

/ What Snake is this? #11  
Yup...I'd be ducking and running. :oops:

/ What Snake is this?
Yep. Eastern hog nose snare. They are funny, as they often shrink in length and puff up to make themselves look wider. Then they'll strike at you with little effect. Then if that doesn't work, they fake their own death!!! :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for providing the video and thanks all for the help identifying the snake. This snake was puffed up and doing the fake death act after my dog got too close.

/ What Snake is this? #14  
Thanks for providing the video and thanks all for the help identifying the snake. This snake was puffed up and doing the fake death act after my dog got too close.
:ROFLMAO:

They are Academy Award worthy!

/ What Snake is this? #16  
Hognose. I handle venomous and non all the time...for whatever reason they still give me the willies and I treat them with the respect I give venomous snakes.
There no way to avoid that, its ingrained in us from inherent evolutionary response.

/ What Snake is this? #17  
There no way to avoid that, its ingrained in us from inherent evolutionary response.
As a kid, we played with a lot of snakes, kept them as pets, etc. I don't ever remember fearing them. We'd all chase them down and catch them if we could. Garter snakes, racers, water snakes, rat snakes, milk snakes, hog nose, little ring necks, lots of them.

However, we only have one venomous snake around here (eastern Massasauga), it's very rare, and I've only seen two in my life.

/ What Snake is this?
We have copperhead where I live.

/ What Snake is this? #19  
As a kid, we played with a lot of snakes, kept them as pets, etc. I don't ever remember fearing them. We'd all chase them down and catch them if we could. Garter snakes, racers, water snakes, rat snakes, milk snakes, hog nose, little ring necks, lots of them.

However, we only have one venomous snake around here (eastern Massasauga), it's very rare, and I've only seen two in my life.

Probably went strong with ''there is no way to avoid it'' but to some level there isn't, and there's always exceptions and different level of fear or hyper awareness and hyper detections towards snakes but to some extent we all experience a certain level of it. Now they don't know for sure but there is multiple study that resulted to the same conclusion. One example is individuals are shown blurry pictures of all kind of animals that get progressively clearer and snakes was overwhelmingly detected first and many frame before (more blurry) followed by cat and other predator. A other example is try to put your head by a glass with a cobra on the other side and try to not flinch once it strike ... one scientist spend all day trying it without success despite consciously knowing he is going to strick and he is on the other side of the glass, his conclusion was this is inherent evolutionary response defence mechanism.

here's a few of these study
  1. Lynne Isbell: Lynne Isbell, a professor of anthropology, has conducted research on the primate visual system, snake detection, and the evolution of fear responses to snakes.
  2. Vanessa LoBue: Vanessa LoBue, a developmental psychologist, has conducted research on the development of fear in children, including the fear of snakes and other animals.
  3. Arne Öhman: Arne Öhman, a psychologist and researcher in the field of affective neuroscience, has studied fear conditioning and the neural mechanisms underlying fear responses, including responses to snakes.
  4. Nobuo Masataka: Nobuo Masataka, a primatologist and psychologist, has explored the fear of snakes in human infants and its potential evolutionary roots.

Last edited:
   / What Snake is this? #20  
Oh I'm not arguing with you. I flinch whenever I think something is going to hit me. A bird in the windshield, road rock, bug towards my face, etc. I don't think it's a fear mechanism with me but an avoidance of the object.

I've seen people with irrational fears of things. Snakes. Mice. Bees. I knew a woman who told me she was driving down the road, a bee came in the car (her worst fear), and the next thing she knew she was hanging upside down by her seatbelt in a corn field.

I've seen two women freak out and run away from a black cat at a garage sale. :ROFLMAO:

I remember as a little kid eating a PBJ sandwich outside at my parents' house and having a wasp land on my face and eat the jelly off of my lips. I was sitting at a little chair next to a window, and I turned and watched it in the reflection. I tapped on the window to get my mom's attention and she told me to hold still and let it finish.

It finished and flew away. I then ran into the house with the willies! YEESH! That was a tad unnerving. 😛