What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf?

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #1  

Reddogs

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 790 / Kubota L3301
I love the Turf tires on my JD 790, but it seems they tend to pick up any nail or sharp object and puncture constantly. Thus when I got my L3301 I was ok to see R1 tires, but after almost tipping over just hitting bumps on the road, I am looking at the R4. What should you look for in a new tractor to start with or does it matter.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #3  
What do you mean by you almost tipped over by hitting a bump with R1s? I'm genuinely curious what happened.

Really need more info on what you're doing with the tractor. My own general rule of thumb is if most of the work is done in front of the back wheels (loader, grapple, etc) then R4s, if it's behind the back wheels R1s (mowing, ground engaging, skidding, etc). I haven't had any experience with the R14s yet but am curious about them and will likely consider them when I wear out a set of R4s.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #4  
R4 is the most puncture resistant and has the thickest sidewalls. They are the best for construction and heavy loader work. But R1s are better for traction in mud and snow. R1s rut the ground more than R4s and are easier to roll off the wheel when heavy lifting with the loader. There is no ideal tire. Most of us have R4s because of the durability and deal with the traction issues with chains or other ways.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf?
   / What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #6  
As I've said on other threads I have no use for R4's mainly because of their lack of grip on wet sod and lack of side hill stability.
I am strictly for R1's though I would be tempted by the newer R14's. So to me It's R1's or turfs no use for R4's what so ever.
Also I've never rolled an R1 off using a FEL, I have rolled them off with slow leaks and flats.

What do you mean by you almost tipped over by hitting a bump with R1s? I'm genuinely curious what happened.

Really need more info on what you're doing with the tractor. My own general rule of thumb is if most of the work is done in front of the back wheels (loader, grapple, etc) then R4s, if it's behind the back wheels R1s (mowing, ground engaging, skidding, etc). I haven't had any experience with the R14s yet but am curious about them and will likely consider them when I wear out a set of R4s.
Well, have to drive to different lots we own, and its agricultural so much is unpaved dirt, gravel, tile, asphalt millings, crushed rocks, you name it. So the rain can wash parts away or create deep potholes or deep dips, so it can be huge hole that you fall in then hit the bump on the other side. Thats the best way I can explain it..

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #8  
All depends on application I guess. Lou and I both farm so R1 is the logical choice. Me I prefer radials but the lug pattern is what is important.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #9  
Never seen a new tractor with those, can you get them from the factory with a new tractor, or have to order after..
They come standard on many new tractors, and you can order them if your current tractor needs new skins.
R14_Launch.jpg