Buying Advice What to buy for remote Alaska property

/ What to buy for remote Alaska property #31  
following .. this should be a interesting thread to watch.

/ What to buy for remote Alaska property #32  
Well - ChugiakTinkerer - you are obviously a whole lot younger than me. Only a young man would take on such a challenge - and believe me you will be taking on a serious one. I spent a year in Glennallen - 1965. The "town" was basically run by a church group and the Air Force Dew Line base was still in operation.

The one thing I remember about the summer was - filthy stinking cigars and military grade Deet. The mosquitos were so bad you couldn't breathe thru your mouth and they NEVER let up. The drive back into Anchorage for supplies was the longest 185 mile drive I've ever made.

If your goal is ISOLATION & being nowhere near civilization - you couldn't have picked a better location. Enjoy your experience and please be careful. Just remember how far you are from ANY form of help should you need it. I seriously envy you and your upcoming adventure.

/ What to buy for remote Alaska property #33  
After all l the years I lived n Alaska, much of it out away from folks, I'd want a 450 size dozer out there, with some gin poles to help with the building project. A winch on the back preferred, and I'd set aside a lot of money for mosquito dope! lol

SR

/ What to buy for remote Alaska property #34  
Your project sounds a lot like the "Building Alaska" TV program. Maybe you can get them to underwrite and film your project....

/ What to buy for remote Alaska property #35  
You haven't said what your budget is or I've missed it. A lot of folks are telling you to get $50K+ machinery.

/ What to buy for remote Alaska property #36  
I just Googled Glennallen and the surrounding area. I see one of my favorite haunts I-Bar-F is now a lodge. Spent many a Friday evening there - they would show movies on Friday evening. Biggest chore was staying sober enough to watch/enjoy the evening movie.

I still think you would get better results with some type of tracked vehicle. That way you could go almost anywhere and not spend so much time "extracting" whatever you have.

Ahhhh - Glennallen at -30F - those were the days. You would always be a cheechako and never become a sourdough unless you spent time in a place like that.

/ What to buy for remote Alaska property #37  
   / What to buy for remote Alaska property #38  
After all l the years I lived n Alaska, much of it out away from folks, I'd want a 450 size dozer out there, with some gin poles to help with the building project. A winch on the back preferred, and I'd set aside a lot of money for mosquito dope! lol

SR

What mosquito dope? Everything I tried was ineffective even the military paint remover stuff. They kept swarming in right along with the white socks, deer flies and noseeums. I guess they must have been county skeeters that didn't get the memo. The deer flies didn't just suck your blood, they took big hunks of your hide too. The only thing that would save you was the wind. When the wind wasn't blowing, we'd build smokey green wood fires and stand in the smoke to get a little relief. I also wore a head net and long sleeves in that muggy summer heat. I never saw so many bugs, not even in the steamiest of jungles.

/ What to buy for remote Alaska property #39  
You haven't said what your budget is or I've missed it. A lot of folks are telling you to get $50K+ machinery.

That's simply because anything else will simply sink out of sight and end up as a total loss. Better to spend what you have to and get some use out of it than to try to buy something cheaper then lose that and end up spending what you have to anyway. You have to pay to play his game.
He's going to have to haul a lot of stuff in that you take for granted too including all of his fuel. When I was up there nothing was cheap simply because it costs so much for transportation to haul stuff in. There are no corner gas stations, grocery stores or McDonalds around. This is living life as the pioneers did so the wusses had better just stay at home.