What to drag behind a disc?

/ What to drag behind a disc? #1  

scootr

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200 HST, 773 Bobcat, Cat forklift
What to drag behind a disc to flatten the ground?
I've been looking around and raking my brain on this.
I want to add something behind my 6x7 Towner disc to smooth the ground for future mowing of a feral field.

/ What to drag behind a disc? #2  
I use a piece of old railroad track about 8 feet long attached by chains. About 200#. We once used a length of old utility pole. Both can be aggravating as heck when transporting or not needed and riding on top of the disc frame. Upside it adds weight to the disc. They do like to bounce off or snag up on things.

The best I’ve used is a rigid frame with a stout board bolted to the disc frame. It lifts with the harrow for transport.

Last edited:
   / What to drag behind a disc? #3  
I'm curious about this too. Seems like there is a round thing that some disc's have that looks like a push lawn mower, but I haven't seen them for sale anywhere.

/ What to drag behind a disc?
My search has led me to a cultipacker. This 6 ft 465 pound clod buster looks like the best solution but at $1k price and $500 delivery....I'm hesitant.

I've thought about making something, like a PVC pipe filled with concrete ? I could drill and insert short bits of rebar through it before filling with Concrete to add spikes but then it would need axles and bearings at each end to roll. It gets complicated.

My disc has wheels

Also I found 4ft ATV cultipackers. 2 would work, they are cheap ($250 each free ship) but light and poly construction. I could add weight (fill with concrete slurry?) but I wonder about the longevity of these?

Attachments

• 70458783666__807F30ED-4807-4296-A211-9AAAEDC03336.JPG
    70458783666__807F30ED-4807-4296-A211-9AAAEDC03336.JPG
    266.2 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
   / What to drag behind a disc? #5  
That's not what I've seen on the videos that I've watched. I want an 8 to ten foot disc. Probably 8 foot because I want and offset disc and I only have 70 hp to pull it. I might have trouble with a bigger disc. I've thought about a heavy drag, but I already have one and it causes as many issues as it solves.

/ What to drag behind a disc?
The disc I have is probably 70 yrs old. The discs are worn smaller but it was cheap and works for knocking down and chewing up weeds, small discs are good for our rocky soil as going deeper just hits more rock. :rolleyes:

/ What to drag behind a disc? #7  
I'm curious about this too. Seems like there is a round thing that some disc's have that looks like a push lawn mower, but I haven't seen them for sale anywhere.
Something like this. These have become common behind BIG disks that I have seen at the AG shows.

And a 9' disk with 22" notched pans would be a good match for your tractor IMO.

/ What to drag behind a disc? #8  
I was able to trade 2 bales of hay for this spreader bar. With all the attachment points I can angle it to move dirt if needed.

I pull it with a New Holland TL80A pulling an eight foot Rome Plow. It makes things very flat.

It is a load for the L2501 to pick it up to set it on the trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_2199.jpeg
    IMG_2199.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 347
  • IMG_2200.jpeg
    IMG_2200.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 344
   / What to drag behind a disc? #9  
There are a multitude of items that can be pulled behind a disk, rolling baskets, spring tooth harrows, culti-packers, rollers, logs, planks.
Depending upon your soil and the desired finish results.

And then you can use chisel plows and pull a disk behind that.
chisel plow 1.jpg

/ What to drag behind a disc? #10  
What works really Easy and Cheap. I drag a piece of old Chain link Fence weighted down. Esp. when I Drop my rippers and drag it. Works fantastic behind my few hundred feet of Crush Run driveway. Use it behind a Yanmar for 15yrs.. I'm sure dirt or turned soil would be just as easy. 1 pass and super cheap and smooth. I gave 75$ new for the BB. to grade the Rd. The fence came off a old gate that had to be replaced so it was a freebee. ;)

Attachments

• 000_0294.JPG
    000_0294.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 225