What to expect from a mulcher on a svl75 standard flow.

/ What to expect from a mulcher on a svl75 standard flow. #21  
Did you bother to watch the videos? These mowers are used in heavy brush, exactly where they shine. A skidsteer spends more time ramping the mower speed up, only to slow down again on the next hit again.

We're used to operate the tractors in tight spaces so we probably work around it just fine. If there is an area that's big enough to be a field, then it's either a pasture or used to grow something. So it's not that people here is mowing huge fields either.

A fully shielded tractor with forestry tires and a heavy duty brush mower with two rotors with 4 chains per rotor will be quite a bit cheaper than a skidsteer with a brush mower, plus it can move in between jobs without an extra hauling equipment, while still operating at a third or less of a cost of the skidsteer. A 75HP tractor mowing brush here, will cost about $75 to $100/hour. What would a skidsteer cost? $350/hour if I remember correctly from a couple threads here? And would take more time than the tractor to do the same job.

If the skidsteer would be that much superior, trust me, we would be all over it in my country because we do value our hard earned money very well, yet the skidsteers seem to stay in the construction business.

As far as looking backwards, you'll look backwards quite a bit on a skidsteer as well, unless you like hitting whatever it's behind you. Part of operating a tractor, is actually looking backwards. Not sure why this is a big deal. We seem to survive just fine over here.

Two rotors on this one to reduce the overall length of it:

Yes I watched the videos. The side panels, fuel tank and the cab glass is still mostly unprotected. I wasn’t able to see about the belly shields. But a tractors belly isn’t exactly durable where the skid steer has a complete belly pan. You can probably hire a skid steer mulcher for $150-200 an hour. Virtually nobody has shielded tractors with tree cutting mowers over here to compare to buy it’s a safe bet they’re not running them for $75 an hour. The power company has a few heavy shielded tractors with brown brush cutters is virtually the only ones I’ve ever seen in person. But this whole discussion didn’t really matter. The OP isn’t going to try to turn his tractor into a forestry machine when he already has the skid steer. And if we want to go down the what’s better road a dedicated mulcher is better than either other option by a long shot. I’m not that that big of a fan of mulching anyway. It’s good for ROW maintenance but for field clearing dozers and excavators are the best way IMO.

/ What to expect from a mulcher on a svl75 standard flow. #22  
Yes I watched the videos. The side panels, fuel tank and the cab glass is still mostly unprotected. I wasn’t able to see about the belly shields. But a tractors belly isn’t exactly durable where the skid steer has a complete belly pan. You can probably hire a skid steer mulcher for $150-200 an hour. Virtually nobody has shielded tractors with tree cutting mowers over here to compare to buy it’s a safe bet they’re not running them for $75 an hour. The power company has a few heavy shielded tractors with brown brush cutters is virtually the only ones I’ve ever seen in person. But this whole discussion didn’t really matter. The OP isn’t going to try to turn his tractor into a forestry machine when he already has the skid steer. And if we want to go down the what’s better road a dedicated mulcher is better than either other option by a long shot. I’m not that that big of a fan of mulching anyway. It’s good for ROW maintenance but for field clearing dozers and excavators are the best way IMO.
All good. Just sharing other cost effective way of doing the same thing, either using a PTO mulching head or a brush mower with chains (let's say up to 8 to 10").

As far as protection of the tractor, well, as you could easily see, going backwards will leave very little that can damage the tractor underneath and definitely won't damage the hood, grille, panels, etc, so again, not that much of a problem as people tend to make out of it, just like the looking backwards ordeal, which can also be fixed with a tractor with reversible operators platform. Sure, people get a tractor and think it can drive over everything, only learn the expensive way that's it's not how it works, so common sense goes a long way.

If the tractor will be dedicated to that type of work, sure, it may as well be as much as protected as it can, even from branches falling from the top and of course will have a cab. Otherwise, it will work fine without it and that's how most people here run it, just use some common sense.

While it may not fit your use, the stuff I shared may be useful for someone else and it may even help them save a lot of money.

The discussion come up after someone pointed out if chains could be used on a skidsteer brush mower, sure it could and it would most likely surprise lots of people on the capabilities of the chains but I understand it may be hard to accept these style of mowers without seeing it working in person. I wonder if I could make a living selling these chain mower in the US? :)

Last edited:
   / What to expect from a mulcher on a svl75 standard flow. #24  
If you are planning on running a mulcher, you want to install a armored door (i.e. 1/2" lexan) and think about where all the pine needles/leaves/small branches are going to fall in the machine. I am running a bobcat T770 with a cimaf head, and have the bobcat boot kit for the arms, custom exhaust cover, lexan covers over the rear lights and horn, and 1/2" lexan door. I have not broken the side windows, but if I ever do will replace with lexan. About once an hour will have to stop and clear off the radiator cover. Also have a backup camera in a steel box.