What to look for in a Pole Barn kit

/ What to look for in a Pole Barn kit #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
So here is a question, what do you guys look for when you purchase a pole barn kit. Is there anything? I know metal siding seems to be of question. I guess that steel buildings use a thicker metal because they span a greater distance (?) but would love to know what you guys look for in these kits.

/ What to look for in a Pole Barn kit #2  
The kits obviously don’t include labor or footings. That is going to be a large portion of the overall cost. Compare that with local contractors overall cost.

As far as features make sure it includes doors (man and overhead) and windows. Metal thickness is a concern I guess- you are either going to dent or scratch it or not. The difference between 24 and 26g won’t matter much. The type finish will though. Kynar has a good name. Flashing details and sealant will be key as well.

/ What to look for in a Pole Barn kit #3  
I am only familiar with wood framed pole buildings, as I worked in the building supply business for 42 years before retirement. We were a major supplier of pole building materials both to consumers and contractors here along the north Oregon and south Washington coasts. There are many things that can vary the cost and integrity of a pole structure, particularly in high wind and heavy snowfall areas. Important things to consider: Is the building engineered including the trusses? What grade and pressure treatment method are the poles and skirt boards? Also, what grade are all the girts and purlins? Many of the 'deals' I have bid against over the years include #3 poles and framing materials with an 'above ground' treatment process on the poles and skirts that will be in the soil. Around here, if a pole building is outside a municipality and used only as an 'ag building', a building permit is generally not required, which leaves a lot of wiggle room as far as quality and quantity of materials. In the end, the customer should do a little homework and become familiar with what is acceptable to him.

/ What to look for in a Pole Barn kit
Tree farmer.. Thank you. What company did you work for and would you recommend them? We are looking both at a red steel building and at a pole barn. The concrete prices are really killing us, so the pole barn is looking abit more interesting as the concrete is less.

You hit the nail on the head, we are using this as an ag building.

Oh, we live outside of Woodland (north of Battleground).

/ What to look for in a Pole Barn kit #5  
I am also looking to build in the 30x50x16 range. Have gotten quotes for polebarns and also 'red iron' structures. Have almost ruled out the red iron structures. Takes alot of concrete just for the footing columns plus they are engineered from the factory for the size you want. So if later on you want to expand or add more windows and doors it is more complicated as you have to re-engineer the metal framing. Polebarns are more flexible in adding after the fact. My quotes for the red iron size was $20,000 for materials only. Same size pole barn has ranged from $26,000 to $32,000 for labor and materials. I did get a materials only kit quote for $22,000 from Hansen Polebarns. I have a current thread 'wet set concrete anchor brackets for polebarn '. Wanted to see everybodies thoughts on these products vs sinking the wood post in the ground. This is for our motorhome and the tractor and equipment...told the wife she gets a small corner !!

/ What to look for in a Pole Barn kit #6  
What I did was have the concrete poured & the following year or 2.. purchase the building..
I already knew what size I wanted/needed..
It takes the "STING" outta it..
You usually forget about the cost of the concrete.. Lol