What to use??????

/ What to use?????? #11  
I have two steep slopes going into a pond that I mow with my 4520 and MX6 mower. The first is 20 to 24 degrees, but there is about 15 feet at the bottom by the pond that is less than 5 degrees. I go down that "front first" to mow the hill.

The second slope goes right down to the pond. I mow it by backing down the slope until I get to about 20 degrees or so. This puts the mower about 6' from the edge of the pond, and the tractor tires about 14 feet from the pond. I don't go any more because the slope really increases fast, and I want some safety margin. I was able to use the first slope to get a feel for the tractor at various amounts of slope.

I'm in 4WD, A gear (lowest gear), I do it late in the day when the grass is dry and there has been no rain for at least 3-4 days. I "move over" for the next run at the top of the hill where it is only about 10 degrees. I think a snail passed me once, yeah I'm going slow :laughing:. go REAL slow, be REAL safe :thumbsup:.

I then have to do the last little bit with a weed wacker or push mower :(. But that's better than the alternative... (even when I find out which part of the slope the yellow jackets are in this year).

Enclosed is the pix of my "riding lawn mower".

Pete

Attachments

• 53_inside_final_deere.jpg
    53_inside_final_deere.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 72
   / What to use?????? #12  
Hi All,
I was working at our neighbors house the other day and noticed that they had a spring fed pond. There was heavy brush surrounding the pond and covering the beach. They also agreed that it need to be cleared. The only problem is that the bank is very steep almost 25 degrees. Should i use my 4320 with my rotary cutter? I was also thinking of renting a Ventrac Slope Mower (Ventrac - Advantages: Slope Mowing). I would like to do the job ASAP and they said they are willing to pay. Any ideas?:confused::confused::confused::

My advice was based on the assumption you were only going to mow the back of the dam. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to tackle the inside of the dam with your 4320 because you could easily end up in the water. Not sure what you mean by "beach"? :confused:

/ What to use??????
My advice was based on the assumption you were only going to mow the back of the dam. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to tackle the inside of the dam with your 4320 because you could easily end up in the water. Not sure what you mean by "beach"? :confused:

A beach as in a little sand bar on a slope that is not as steep as the bank into the pond.

/ What to use??????
I have two steep slopes going into a pond that I mow with my 4520 and MX6 mower. The first is 20 to 24 degrees, but there is about 15 feet at the bottom by the pond that is less than 5 degrees. I go down that "front first" to mow the hill.

The second slope goes right down to the pond. I mow it by backing down the slope until I get to about 20 degrees or so. This puts the mower about 6' from the edge of the pond, and the tractor tires about 14 feet from the pond. I don't go any more because the slope really increases fast, and I want some safety margin. I was able to use the first slope to get a feel for the tractor at various amounts of slope.

I'm in 4WD, A gear (lowest gear), I do it late in the day when the grass is dry and there has been no rain for at least 3-4 days. I "move over" for the next run at the top of the hill where it is only about 10 degrees. I think a snail passed me once, yeah I'm going slow :laughing:. go REAL slow, be REAL safe :thumbsup:.

I then have to do the last little bit with a weed wacker or push mower :(. But that's better than the alternative... (even when I find out which part of the slope the yellow jackets are in this year).

Enclosed is the pix of my "riding lawn mower".

Pete

Thanks Pete,
Your advice seems great. Also is your 4520 eHydro or does it have the Power Reverser?