What tools do I need???

/ What tools do I need??? #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
I will be setting up a shop in the garage of my new house, and am wondering what tools I should get. First on my list is an air compressor.[see other post] Here’s what I am planing to do. I have to old cars to restore, tractors to repair, I am planing to do some fab work, and just general repairs on everything. Here’s what I have already….

Hand tools.[I got a ton]
MIG welder
Impact wrench
Paint gun
Jacks, and stands

Here’s what I am planning to get…

Air compressor
Some more air tools
Stick welder
Angle grander

Any thing I am missing? Any recommendations on what I am looking for? I have about $1500 to work with. Thanks for any help.

/ What tools do I need??? #2  
I'm thinking that with the project types you are planning on doing, that either an arbor press or hydraulic press would sure come in handy!!!

/ What tools do I need??? #3  
Paul
I would suggest a set of torches with cutting capabilities. With a set of good tips for different metal thickness, they allow you to cut steel to just about any shape. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif With an angle grinder you can grind any slag and imperfections in cutting. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ What tools do I need???
Good thought. I am lucky to work at an auto dealer, so I get to use some of the stuff there. One of the things they have is a press, so I am set there. Thanks.

I have been thinking of torches. Mostly for cutting, and heating rusty bolts. My fear is the cost of the tanks. The torch set runs about $150-$200, well within my budjet, but I have no idea how much the tanks cost. I also need a tank for my MIG. Any one have any idea on pricing?

/ What tools do I need??? #6  
Paul
I purchased my tanks over 20 years ago. I just take them back to place I bought them at. They exchange them with filled tanks.
You may want to check into renting tanks. Price should be low and you never have to worry about keeping them up-to-date with inspections.

/ What tools do I need??? #7  
I have a set of tanks and it costs me $280 to rent for both every five years. They don't have the option to buy unfortunately. I did have to buy the tank for my mig. $60.00 and you take it back and exchange costs $20.00.

You might try just getting the oxygen tank. You can use propane instead of acetylen (sp?). It's much cheaper but a bit of a pain with the different size tank. Not bad if it's primarily stationary.

I just built a welding tank cart and it came out great. Used 20" diameter wheels and it moves on rough ground wonderfully. I had been using just a utility cart/dolly with the 7" wheels and tanks chained to it. It was a pain. I'll try to post a picture it you're interested.

A chop saw is a very handy tool if you're fabricating and need percise anges.

Mike

/ What tools do I need??? #8  
Paul,
If I remember right,my tanks are on a lease program.
99 year lease around $500 .When empty take them back to where I got them and exchange for full tanks.

I was thinking of a chop saw, But I am afraid for the amount they cost, and how much I would use it, I could get more tools I could use more.

Sounds like I should stop by the gas, or welding store and start pricing these things. I realy could use a cutting torch.

/ What tools do I need??? #10  
I would consider a cut-off saw, bench mounted grinder and drill press if you plan on doing metal work. For the price, cut off saws work great. I also use mine for cutting paver and retaining wall blocks with masonary blades. I prefer a mig welder over a stick welder but a stick welder is generally cheaper. A good sized metal vise is also nice. I don't have a torch set but it will probably next purchase if I can find a good used set with tanks. Also get a good set of different sized C-clamps, vise-grips and other clamps for holding metal together unless you already have them.