What type of fluid can I use in a log splitter

/ What type of fluid can I use in a log splitter #1  

KevinMcD

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
I have a MTD log splitter that is about 14 years old. The manual says to use Dexron III tranny fluid or 10W AW hydraulic fluid. I have used the Dexron III from the beginning. Does anyone know if using another type of tranny fluid would adversely effect the splitter? Or if I mixed different types of tranny fluid? Would that be an issue? Thanks.

/ What type of fluid can I use in a log splitter #2  
The single factor that should weight the heaviest in determining the best choice of fluid to use is viscosity, otherwise known as the fluid's weight. Viscosity is also most often expressed as the fluids ISO number or grade.

Here are some hyd fluid comparisons.

Hydraulic Fluid Chart Hydraulic Oil Table and Cross Reference

/ What type of fluid can I use in a log splitter #3  
Kevin, its best not to mix fluids. if dextron 3 has worked for 14 years why would you even think about changing? In some of the trucks we service use dextron, others use iso32 and others use Univis J13 so as you see the manufactures are all over the board with oils.. Jim

/ What type of fluid can I use in a log splitter #4  
i agree. if dex3 has worked. why go change?

you can get generic dex 3 from walmart cheap ... rural king too..

/ What type of fluid can I use in a log splitter
Thanks for the input. I will stick with the DEX III. I don't now much about tranny fluid and have some other type kicking around and thought maybe I could use it up, but why gamble now. Thanks again.