What type of metal to add for the brush guard?

/ What type of metal to add for the brush guard? #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
I need to do like some other forum members have done and add the mesh metal to the brush guard before I have an expensive boo-boo. What is this type called that is honey combed looking, that you guys use? I need to be able to ask for the right stuff when I go by the steel supply. This will be on my L2501 with FEL. Thanks.

/ What type of metal to add for the brush guard? #2  
It's expanded metal. You can get it in many different size openings just have to decide what you want for your application.

/ What type of metal to add for the brush guard?
OK, thanks. I assume the stiffer and tighter the mesh, the better? Maybe 1/8" thick...or 1/4" for it to be stiff enough to stand up to a branch?

/ What type of metal to add for the brush guard? #4  
I wish I could find a photo of it, but there is a very heavy woven wire mesh that is used in construction. It comes on Cat tractors and is used for operator protection.

/ What type of metal to add for the brush guard?
Yes, I would like to know what the thickness needs to be so I have an idea what to ask for while in the steel supply office, before going out on the yard to get it cut.

/ What type of metal to add for the brush guard? #6  
I got the expanded metal I used on mine from McMaster - a 24" x 24" piece was more than enough.

1/4" or even 1/8" thick is way overkill in my opinion ... unless you are planning on running into something at 20 mph or better.

I went with some fairly thin stuff (don't recall the thickness offhand) ... but with a tight spacing ... think the openings were 1/4" wide x 3/4" long. And I went with flattened expanded metal, rather than regular.

You'll be surprised at how strong even the thin stuff is ;)

/ What type of metal to add for the brush guard? #7  
It comes specified by opening size and sheet metal gage. Mine was 3/4" opening (pretty common - that is the long dimension of the diamond) and I think 9 ga. That is a perfect size for a brush guard, IMO, especially after using it, and very common. You can't go wrong with this type. BTW, you want the type called "flattened". They roll it after doing the punching and expanding so it lays flat and doesn't have quite the sharp edges of the raised type.

A local supplier may have "drops" or leftovers from previous customers cutting down a 4x8' sheet (standard size). If so, they will typically give you a better deal on that, so ask if they have drops first. You might get lucky and they may have a piece big enough for you.

A quick web search on those terms will tell you a lot before you walk into the suppliers.

/ What type of metal to add for the brush guard? #9  
Perforated steel is another option. McMaster sells that also.

/ What type of metal to add for the brush guard? #10  
Crusher screen ?

Good knowledge !!!

That is what I was trying to describe and think of. Thanks.

It seems that, in farm work, one needs just the next higher, more durable, or more refined product. Unfortunately, that goes on ad infinitum.