What was the best dog you've had?

/ What was the best dog you've had? #21  
Tough call.
I had a pair of border collies as a teenager. They were an awesome team. They had my back a few times.
In the early '90s, Dixie was an all around top hand for the family and farm. She was obviously a German shepherd/yellow lab mix.
Now, I've got Mocha. She's a Catahoula. Smarter than some folks. Low key and does her best to keep me in line.
Knows when to get a move on, and when to relax.
Dixie was real special, but Mocha just listens to me talk and responds to verbal communication that we haven't practiced.
Inexplicable. Probably just me paying more attention. Maybe not.

/ What was the best dog you've had?
Wow. Great responses! Times are so weird. You have to set an appointment at the shelter to see a certain dog with this $%%^# plague. The shelters around here are filled with pit bull mixes. I can see that that would be a touchy subject for some, but why would that be? Australian cattle dogs seem to come up frequently. We had one in our extended family that was a good companion. Over the last 20 years, my wife has a soft spot for dachshunds. We lost the last one way too young, the dreaded back. The first two lived full lives.
Lots of lab lovers and I get why. I met a a charcoal lab who was ~6 months old. Made you melt. Catahoula, that's a new one to me. A dog that is smart and responsive makes a better companion in my book. Hope you all had a good Sunday.

/ What was the best dog you've had? #24  
My best dog is my neighbour's dog. Comes over every day. Digs in my garden. Craps on my lawn. The best part is I don't have to feed it or pay any vet bills.

/ What was the best dog you've had? #25  
grew up with labs and they where awesome definitely would recommend them, so easy to train, they can be a little energic when young with young kids tho …. but the best dog I ever had was a German shorthair pointer she was a beauty all around, really good hunting instinct. she made bird hunting so easy. she was timid, gentle, and listen so well, perfect size... my next one will be a Brittany Spaniel I am really looking forward to see how she is going to be. should be getting her in a few months

Last edited:
   / What was the best dog you've had? #26  
Last 2 dogs found me. 2nd last abandoned at dog park, the last one I found under my trailer freezing 6 weeks ago.

Not the best way to get a dog but in my case, so far so good.

Attachments

• F623859F-B48C-4A68-98B4-89C38821A484.jpeg
    F623859F-B48C-4A68-98B4-89C38821A484.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 91
   / What was the best dog you've had? #27  
If any of these suit your fancy, they should save you some vacuuming.

/ What was the best dog you've had? #28  
I live VERY rural. Coyotes are a constant problem when dealing with dogs out here. I've lost two dogs to coyotes. Stray just a little too far - they become breakfast for the coyotes. The two I lost - both were labs. Both were excellent dogs but just a little too prone to wandering. A little too curious.

I currently have a registered brown Cocker Spaniel. I'm pretty sure he understands that coyotes are not friends. He will stay right with me when we walk the property. I have 80 acres in NE WA state. About 25 miles SW of Spokane.

As you can see - he's pretty brave when on the front porch.
IMG_0025 2.jpeg

/ What was the best dog you've had? #29  
Sheppard Collie mix. He was smarter than most people.
First so you don't take offense, I believe you. Second, that doesn't seem like it takes a super intelligent dog to be true now days.

For a family dog I love GSDs, I've had half a dozen. For my dog I've moved toward Belgium Malinois but they are absolutely an advanced dog owner dog and take a lot of work.

C0D660B0-E00F-47B1-82A5-00CA5678B383.jpeg

/ What was the best dog you've had? #30  
Hard to say. Grew up with Weimaraners , German Shepherds and Beagles and they all had their place. After moving away started with the Shepherds (one of which saved my life) then Lab mixes, and then a Newfoundland and then a Corgi (for the wife) and then one of my top 3 (Airedale / Shepard ) back to to Lab mixes and Beagles as I can't train anymore to bad knees and upwards of 3 hours a day is too hard on me. I feel most breeds can make good companions if treated properly and health issues for the chosen breed realized.