What was you experience with Dog rescues?

/ What was you experience with Dog rescues? #21  
Laugh all you want - our foster homes never got a say in who we adopted too, that was not their job or function in my organization. I did inspections on our foster homes and would cancel them from our program because they failed to keep up with the standards of our foster home contract - I had the right to do spot inspections, as did certain members of my staff, all spelled out in the contract and enforceable in court, which we had to do, unfortunately, because we failed do the proper and complete vetting of the foster home applicant in the early days of our rescue.
I'm only laughing at people's perceptions on dogs.

It is actually great that you had a legal contract spelled out in court that was enforceable by law.

To some extent, our own contract was laid out the same way per "legal jargon", thing is, in rural NC where unwanted dogs are a dime a dozen, we never pushed the aspect of a legal contract other than telling the prospective new animal owner that if the contract is broken, we have a legal right to get the animal back.

I apologize if you misconstrued my comment in error.

However, after re reading your post, the reality is I misconstrued your written word. I thought you were refering to applications to adpot and not for the foster homes 🤣 I do find it interesting that the organization is yours and yours alone. We came into the same issue with "society organizations" who couldn't follow their own by laws because it became some kind of power trip to have over people by people running the organization by the "elected president", which I found perplexing when people are just volunteering to try and help unwanted dogs out.

Take 15% of our county population and make that 15% dogs and cats. That's how many are put down in our county alone every single year.

All that said, personally I thought we made great foster parents 😁

Last edited:
   / What was you experience with Dog rescues? #22  
I have to laugh when I see your avatar and compar it to mine.

Probably had about 55 dogs in our home over the years. The only dog in my entire life I've ever been bitten by was by a 5-10lb Chihuahua who we took in for an elderly lady moving into a rest home by her family. Dog in my avatar was one of the best dogs in my entire life we ever kept. Gave me a new perpective on the "breed".

Small dogs use to old owners can be very aggressive towards other people they aren't familiar with from my experiences.

We did find that dog a great home (similar owner "type"), but I'll never forget that bite.
Dog sat for the neighbors across the road for a weekend. They had chihuahua's, and they got along with our two small dogs. Didn't have any issues with the dogs when the owners were around.

Neighbor gave me a key to go get their dogs after I got home from work.

Well one of the chihuahua's turned into a rabid she beast when I went to get her.

It was 100 degrees out that day. I had to dig out my old leather motorcycle jacket, and throw on my padded and insulated welding gloves in order to get the dog over to my house

/ What was you experience with Dog rescues? #23  
I have to laugh when I see your avatar and compar it to mine.

Probably had about 55 dogs in our home over the years. The only dog in my entire life I've ever been bitten by was by a 5-10lb Chihuahua who we took in for an elderly lady moving into a rest home by her family. Dog in my avatar was one of the best dogs in my entire life we ever kept. Gave me a new perpective on the "breed".

Small dogs use to old owners can be very aggressive towards other people they aren't familiar with from my experiences.

We did find that dog a great home (similar owner "type"), but I'll never forget that bite.
My wire's rescue chihuahua has bitten many a visiting shoelace. Then as soon as the visitor sits down she jumps up for a warm lap to sit in.

/ What was you experience with Dog rescues? #24  
My wire's rescue chihuahua has bitten many a visiting shoelace. Then as soon as the visitor sits down she jumps up for a warm lap to sit in.
Have your dog stay with some family when your not around at all in a different setting. It's a good litmus test to see what kind of behavior could change in the dog God forbid something should happen to your and your wife and the dog needs a home.

The sad reality is there is a host of animals who outlive their masters and have no where to go, nor did their masters plan on anything for their pets.

/ What was you experience with Dog rescues? #25  
Sigarms & SoCalRedTractor have touched on so many good points.... My wife & I are novices compared to many in this arena...

My wife has been around professionally (& ethically) breed & raised show dogs since she was little & she has been in & out of the animal professional world all her life working with vet's & rescues (& others). I was raised with dogs from the time I was a toddler, then at the age of 8 I was brutally attacked (hospitalized) by a dog that lived on our street & wanted nothing to do with them for many years.

For the past 28yr we have always had at least 2 (usually 3) dogs of our own, some rescue, some purchased from a breeder & for the past 10yrs we have been fostering rescues. Here is what I've learned.

- Most (if not all) dogs are better than humans
- If you're going to get a rescue... vet the rescue as through (or even harder) then they vet you... If they have an issue with this... There is an issue....
- Not all Humane Societies (& a like) are humane, or honest, or out for your or the animals best interest.
- Know what your lifestyle is & find a dog (research it) that fits it... Dogs have traits... If your a marathon runner, don't get a bulldog... If you a couch potato, don't get a field dog.... etc... etc... We see to many people that want a dog because the like the look or want a particular breed... or they just want to save it... The dog (or any animal) needs to fit your lifestyle, your living conditions & (unfortunately) your financial situation. Again there are exceptions to these rules (as others have stated).

We have been blessed to have the dogs (& other animals) we have had in our lives thus far. I believe 95% of rescues can be amazing family members (& some of the best dogs) if they are placed with the right family. It is unfortunate that we have had our dealings (in our area) with multiple shelters & rescues that were more about the business (money) aspect, then the benefit of the animals & placing them with the correct families....

If you are looking at a rescue... just go in knowing your lifestyle & looking for a dog that fits that & your family.... & do not be afraid to vet the rescue...

/ What was you experience with Dog rescues? #26  
In my case on my last rescue dog (the one with behavioral problems that took 3 years), there was really no chance to select one dog vs another. The rescue lady (God bless her) met us at a local park and basically handed the leash to me and left. She was over her head in rescues and I will not, and cannot fault her. She was trying the best that she could. I looked at my wife at the time and said "well I guess she is my dog now". No regrets.... I got a dedicated, loving dog.

/ What was you experience with Dog rescues? #27  
SO a little while back I posted a thread about what was everyone's best canine friend. It went well beyond what I thought it would and had great insight about breeds that had piqued our interest before and some we never even heard of. Hopefully the group got lots out of it.
Now it is to the point of choosing a dog and the misses submitted an application to a rescue that had volunteers that cared for them at their homes. This was via Pet Finder. This was 2 weeks back. You see pics of the dog at the beach or some other happy spot. The dogs from this rescue never seem to go away. Dogs you saw 2 months + ago are still in the hands of the rescue. Donations are appreciated of course. But why aren't they going to homes? Is it that the trip to the beach is a write off on their taxes? I thought to look for reviews after the fact. Many people with the same experience. No communication back when you inquire about your application. What a deal that is.
I remember hearing about a local woman a few years back that financed her trips abroad for her dog rescue and the canines got little to nothing to show for it. I guess you have to vet everything and everybody you have contact with. My question to the group, is this a thing now with these rescue groups formed as tax shelters and way to finance their and their friend's pets?
By us the Humane Society still doesn't let you peruse the potential adoptees. It looks like you do an appointment for a particular beast, I'm guessing due to the plague. Is that like this in your area?
Too many rescue dogs are "pre-ruined". If you just want a basket case animated object of your affection, Rescue dogs are fine.

Otherwise, it's a crap shoot.

Check out how many animals are euthanized every day in all of our major cities.

Life is too short to salvage a basket case canine.

/ What was you experience with Dog rescues? #28  
Too many rescue dogs are "pre-ruined". If you just want a basket case animated object of your affection, Rescue dogs are fine.

Otherwise, it's a crap shoot.

Check out how many animals are euthanized every day in all of our major cities.

Life is too short to salvage a basket case canine.
Really now? I guess life is too short for a dog to waste its time with "pre ruined" people such as ^^.

/ What was you experience with Dog rescues? #29  
Really now? I guess life is too short for a dog to waste its time with "pre ruined" people such as ^^.
Confusing dogs with humans is on you.

Yumm Yumm Puppy fried rice!

It's Real! get over your self. If you were hungry, Your dog would be fair game.!

Dogs, left to themselves, don't need dentistry. They don't live long enough. But with the "love and care" humans offer, canine dentistry is a big business. Yumm Yumm canned dog food! Rot those teeth!

IDIOTS! They are every where.

And DON'T leave your child in the presence of your Rotty, Bad things may happen. Check the recent news for details!

/ What was you experience with Dog rescues? #30  
Have your dog stay with some family when your not around at all in a different setting. It's a good litmus test to see what kind of behavior could change in the dog God forbid something should happen to your and your wife and the dog needs a home.

The sad reality is there is a host of animals who outlive their masters and have no where to go, nor did their masters plan on anything for their pets.
Masters?

Or servants?