Buying Advice What was your reason?

/ What was your reason? #11  
Hm... what brands of HST tractor have "shift on the fly" ranges. Even the Kubota HST+ is not exactly shift on the fly. It is a variable displacement motor in the hydro, the range gears are non synchronized gears just like my Kioti and all other HST tractors I have owned. I am not saying they don't exist, it is just I have not seen a shift on the fly hydrostatic drive tractor. A Kubota Glideshift is a complicated transmission you can shift on the fly, but it is NOT a hydro.

/ What was your reason? #12  
Hm... what brands of HST tractor have "shift on the fly" ranges. Even the Kubota HST+ is not exactly shift on the fly. It is a variable displacement motor in the hydro, the range gears are non synchronized gears just like my Kioti and all other HST tractors I have owned. I am not saying they don't exist, it is just I have not seen a shift on the fly hydrostatic drive tractor. A Kubota Glideshift is a complicated transmission you can shift on the fly, but it is NOT a hydro.

The main one I know of is the Yanmar, they claim it and it works.
I hit a pile in low, pickup a load and pull back, start to go forward and think I need high speed, so I reach down push the shift lever too high... bing bam boom, that easy. No stopping, like my Mahindra, no worrying about jamming gears together, just smooth easy shift... up or down. Coming to the pile shift from high to low for power loading.

The two things I find a problem with the Mahindra, one is the lack of power and no on the Shift on the Fly.

I believe the newer Yanmar's say they have it too, sweet thing to have.

I am going out to the web and see what Yanmar offering are now.

Ltr

p.s. Looked on the Yanmar Site, looked at all of the models, new and older, not one mention of the Shift on the Fly !
I do remember the statement in the Brochures but will have to look on my Desk Top to get the old data back.
I am wondering whether or not it is still available.

Last edited:
   / What was your reason? #13  
Not sure I would call it a shift on the fly ... but the NH TC40D has a "turtle/rabbit" mode that allows you to go from a slower, more power drive to a faster less power drive in a given range without stopping.

I can be in a given range, hit the button on the bucket control handle and I will be in turtle mode, allowing me to push into the pile of dirt and lift it. Then, as I pull away, I jut hit the button and I will speed up and travel at a higher rate of speed without having to stop. I can do this in the lower range and the higher range. Now, if I want to go from the lower range to the higher range, I do have to stop.

With a full payload in the FEL and in the upper range, I find I do need to start off in turtle mode and shift to rabbit after I get going or the tractor may stall.

/ What was your reason? #14  
Not sure I would call it a shift on the fly ... but the NH TC40D has a "turtle/rabbit" mode that allows you to go from a slower, more power drive to a faster less power drive in a given range without stopping.

I can be in a given range, hit the button on the bucket control handle and I will be in turtle mode, allowing me to push into the pile of dirt and lift it. Then, as I pull away, I jut hit the button and I will speed up and travel at a higher rate of speed without having to stop. I can do this in the lower range and the higher range. Now, if I want to go from the lower range to the higher range, I do have to stop.

With a full payload in the FEL and in the upper range, I find I do need to start off in turtle mode and shift to rabbit after I get going or the tractor may stall.

I was talking about the actual shift lever being moved, but I like that "turtle/rabbit" button mode idea even better.

/ What was your reason? #15  

yeah, that is a variable displacement hydraulic motor like the Kubota. Not "shift on the fly range gears.

/ What was your reason? #16  
I was talking about the actual shift lever being moved, but I like that "turtle/rabbit" button mode idea even better.

you would like Kubota HST+ transmission. Essentially 6 ranges with 3 range gears and a hi/low variable displacement motor so you can get a high and low out of each range. Pretty handy. I wish my Kioti had it,

/ What was your reason? #17  
Actually, I do like Kubota but would probably not buy one ...

I do not like the rocker pedal on the HST ... I would rather have the two pedals.

/ What was your reason? #18  
Price Price and Price, I guess I'm getting cheap in my old age.

/ What was your reason? #20  
Looked at a lot of options and brands, and the bang for the buck was here. The grand experiment begins on monday when my RK55 is delivered. Looked at the bobcat (CT5550) version and it was a solid $6K more for the same sized unit, with fewer options.