What works against rodents

/ What works against rodents #61  
I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I just got another vehicle (van) back from the shop to repair damage from some kind of rodent eating the wiring. We have tried moth balls, Irish Spring, coyote urine but nothing seems to keep the little buggers away. They haven't found the tractor yet, but we park our car/truck outside. My wife doesn't want me to put poison out since we have a herd of Corgis that are in and out of the vehicles on a daily basis, but I am at wits end. :mad::mad::mad: I am looking for suggestions.
Yeah, poison is not a good idea. Could then kill any owl or whatever eats the rodent. A resident black snake would take care of the rodents and would not harm you. We have a couple that hang around in our pool equipment area. The pest applicator saw one of our snakes yesterday.

/ What works against rodents #62  
   / What works against rodents #63  
I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I just got another vehicle (van) back from the shop to repair damage from some kind of rodent eating the wiring. We have tried moth balls, Irish Spring, coyote urine but nothing seems to keep the little buggers away. They haven't found the tractor yet, but we park our car/truck outside. My wife doesn't want me to put poison out since we have a herd of Corgis that are in and out of the vehicles on a daily basis, but I am at wits end. :mad::mad::mad: I am looking for suggestions.
Tomcat bait blocks in a locking bait box. Tractor supply sells them. Dogs cannot access the bait inside the box, but it kills the mice.

/ What works against rodents #64  
Tomcat bait blocks in a locking bait box. Tractor supply sells them. Dogs cannot access the bait inside the box, but it kills the mice.
Mice bait is warfarin and the amount in a killed mouses’s body is too small to kill hawks and other animals that may prey on the mouse. Warfarin is used as a human blood thinner. The poisons that kill other animals are stricknine. Tomcat blocks are warfarin.

/ What works against rodents #65  
If you use a snap style trap set it and then test it with something like a pen. You'll be surprised just how much force it takes to set it off. Use a set of pliers to make it as sensitive as you can (think like a hair trigger on a gun). Otherwise you'll be lucky to kill 1 in 10.

For me I don't let grass grow around the vehicle and keep it far from anything they can hide in or under. Most are unwilling to risk getting caught to make a dash for an object that is unknown to them unless they can smell food. But once you've had mice in a vehicle it's impossible to remove the smell so they will just keep returning figuring that there's food there. On my old truck I even pulled the seats and carpet to hose them down and clean them. It worked until the next summer came around and the heat made what little smell was left more powerful.

/ What works against rodents #66  
One thing that seems to work is to drive the vehicle onto a large cheap plastic tarp when storing it.
Rodents seem to avoid that kind of surface.

Friend has a storage facility and many vehicles get stored outside over winter and those parked on a tarp never get visited by rodents.

/ What works against rodents #67  
The best rodenticide I have found is made by hornady. Give your kids a rifle and tell them if it moves shoot it. My kids are always shooting mice chipmunks squirrels and anything else that moves. .17 Vmax hollow points are very effective on anything smaller than a deer and for that use a .243 or larger