What would be "best" way to capture rainwater from a shipping container?

/ What would be "best" way to capture rainwater from a shipping container? #11  
Re: What would be "best" way to capture rainwater from a shipping container?

Yes! Build a "false roof" for the intent purpose of water collection. One side might be higher than the other!

/ What would be "best" way to capture rainwater from a shipping container? #12  

Yes! Build a "false roof" for the intent purpose of water collection. One side might be higher than the other!

I like this idea...build a simple tapered structure that is a few inches higher on one side, drop into to gutter, drop into IBC tote...

-Joe

/ What would be "best" way to capture rainwater from a shipping container? #13  

A false roof will also keep the container much cooler, if it is in the sunlight.

Bruce

/ What would be "best" way to capture rainwater from a shipping container? #14  

A false galvanized metal covered roof bolted to the top of the container with a couple inches of fall into the gutter would do the trick. Plus, the container would be cooler, and you could make the roof a little wider than the container, getting more collection area.

/ What would be "best" way to capture rainwater from a shipping container?

So got it done yesterday. Definitely got the low cost materials and doesn't have to be pretty parts right :) I used vinyl gutters, self-drilling metal screws, aluminum flashing tape. Just screwed the gutter right to the container. Put 2 hangers each 10ft section for some support if it gets a little snow. then the flashing tape from seam on top, down over side into gutter. Re- leveled container so there is a very slight tilt toward the gutter side and from front to back. I know you are supposed to tilt the container back-front a little so it can't collect water, but not difficult for me to just close the doors when it rains. And reality is, if there is blowing rain, I'm not using any equipment stored in container so I think that's not an issue. I was worried about doors working well so didn't go nuts with leveling - bulb on spirit level right at the line for high side, so very little right-left or front-back angle.

I thought I took a pick of the IBC tote inlet and what I did there, but must not have since not on my phone. For it, all I did was take a small section of window screen material, set it over the opening on top and make a bowl shape, then secured it with a light screen door spring and 2 S hooks. Thinking that will work to let water thru but keep bugs & trash out. Supposed to rain later today so will get to see if it works or not real soon.

20180527_134213.jpg
20180527_134235.jpg

Only issue is I laid it out with a 275gal IBC tote. I can get 330 gal ones from work for free, but won't fit unless I make that last section of downspout flexible. Since I have no idea how fast it will really fill up - or if it ever will since I will use this water for garden plants, will have to rework to make a 330 fit.

Oddly, I had two different brands of #10 x 3/4" self-drilling metal screws here. One went into container just fine (needed a lot of pressure on the drill, but cut through well enough), other simply refused. So learned that corten apparently repels some fasteners while something slightly different works just fine.

Seems to be working. Light rain and little stream of water going into tote.

20180528_120318.jpg

So went to check on it after work today. Had maybe .3" of rain since it went up. Had 40+ gal in tote. Climbed up and looked in gutter and a couple spots have little sags and small pools of water, but I would say maybe a pint total in the whole 40' span & it rained a little today. So looks like most of the water is moving and going where I want it. Assuming the .3" is close to accurate, I caught about 2/3 of all the water that hit the top of container. For such slight slopes I think that's pretty good. And at that rate, a little over 2" of rain should fill a 275 gal tote. We average 3.25 - 4" of rain per month so lots of free water :)

Now has me wondering.....since I can get free 330 gal IBC totes from work, and frequently get the coupons for free lightweight tarps from HF....wonder what else I could set up for even more free water :)