What would YOU get??

/ What would YOU get?? #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
OK, just kind of thinking out loud here. What kind, and size tractor would you look for, if you have these projects to do?

Brush cut about 2 acres of heavy brush.

Level, de-rock, and install about 1 acre of lawn

Install, and maintain a gravel drive

Move about 3 big piles of dirt to fill a big hole on another part of the land.

And last just normal maintance on 4 ½ acres of land.

Any input?

/ What would YOU get?? #2  
That's a pretty open ended question. I imagine you'll get responses that generally favor the brand the "replier" already owns.

From a generic point of view, I don't think you can go wrong with the big three - Kubota, New Holand, or Deere. However you may want to look at some of the others as well. Since it doesn't appear your actually farming, then one of the small CUT's or even a large lawn tractor should fit the bill.

My decision to by my tractor was based mainly on the dealer. Since I had no idea of which tractor was better of the big 3, I just went with the unit that best fit me (comfort), looked the stongest (didn't flex when I stood on it), and one where the dealer made me feel comfortable. My best advice is to drive the tractors and kick the tires (literally). If the dealer won't let you do at least that, then move on to the next dealer.

Now, legal stuff aside. I like the Kubota L3130 HST (see I told you). Couple that with a mid mount mower, turf tires, small FEL (I think it's the LA523), and a 5 foot bush hog and you'd be set. If price is an object (and when is it not), then go down a size into the BX line. The BX22 is a nifty package that even comes with a back hoe. Add a small rotary cutter and your set.

If blue is your thing, then I like the TC33 similarly equiped. As for green, I have no clue - never got the local dealer to talk to me, so they didn't get the nod in the first place. But I'll bet someone on the green team can shed some light in your direction.

/ What would YOU get?? #3  
Depending on the amount of bells and whistles you want:

John Deere 4210 ehydro MFWD Lots of bells and whistles
John Deere 4115 HST MFWD Not quite as many but nice
John Deere 4010 HST MFWD Little less hp
John Deere 790 MFWD Great simple gearshift tractor

/ What would YOU get?? #4  
s1120,
icat is right about the opinions you'll get here, but my personal opinion is to add the few bucks if you are considering the BX line and go with the B-Series Kubotas. The B7500 is a few dollars more, better lift capacities all the way around the BX series, and quite a bit more gound clearance for stump and rock jumping. I made that decisionj last year and don't regret it a bit. Besides the clearance issues with the BX, I've also heard of some issues with the BX handling certain 3pt implements due to the BX's low 3pt hitch height (posthole diggers in particular). You never know what your future will hold in terms of other projects you may tackle. A few more horses will never hurt running a rear mower or tiller, too. Some think that a larger tractor is a hassle to maneuver around trees and obtacles. If you consider a MMM, and a few hours in the saddle, you'll make the machine talk in no time. Extra size, HP, lift capacity, etc... is never a waste, but a detrement when you need it (or want it), but don' have it. You can't just "chip" the tractor like a diesel pickup and gain the horses and torque. IMHO.

/ What would YOU get?? #5  
Normally, especially in this non-branded section, people go out of their way to avoid naming a specific brand. That's what makes TBN so comfortable.

BUT - you specifically asked what each of us would do, so each of us, especially those with land similar to what you have, will tell you what we have already done! Unless we are unhappy...and there aren't very many unhappy people on TBN, so it looks like almost any choice you make will be the "right" one/

All that said, and since orange and green have already been mentioned, I can tell you what my dealer recommended, what I did, and what I would therefore recommend since I'm happy. New Holland TC18, hydro, 12LA loader, 4' brush hog, 4' box blade, 6' landscape rake.

I have 5 acres and will have almost identical needs to yours once we finish building, except we have no rocks (or even stones). In the meantime, that little 18 HP tractor is doing a lot more than I expected in site prep. Cost was approx $15K all told.

/ What would YOU get?? #6  
Depending on the size of your pocket book, how much maintenance you're willing to do yourself, and how much of a kick you get out of being self sufficient, there are 100's of right choices and 100's of wrong ones.

I think most of the worng choices are in the category of too small (Garden Tractor) and too big (not manuverable enough for your terrain).

I think most of the right choices are in the 20-30 hp diesel CUT with live hydraulics, Cat 1 attach, and rear PTO.

Any 20-30 HP diesel from the big colors (Green, Blue, Red) and the imported big colors (Orange #1 and Orange #2) will work just fine with proper attachements. With all of these, the primary value is dealer support with fit and finish running a close second. High end on $$$, Low end on self maintenance, Low end on self sufficiency. If you go this route, I'd base my decision primarily on confience in the local dealer and much less on brand loyalty.

The second item to really consider is drivetrain. HST vs. Manual. If you want/need HST, then once again, dealer support is fundemental whether you buy an older used unit or a new one.

If you're a go it alone kinda self sufficiency type who doesn't care on the manual vs. HST front, then a Chinese crate tractor new can be had for about 40% the cost of the big colors. You will have to assemble it yourself, be 100% responsible for maintenance, and become your own tractor mechanic.

I took the plunge in the last category and have been having fun ever since, I mean working hard ever since.

My total investment so far for a 22hp 3-cyl diesel manual tractor with Johnny bucket, Kioti 60" RFM, Boom Pole, Wagon, 6" Chipper, and BoxBlade is $9365 and 40 hours (3 weekends) of labor. A FEL would be another $2500.

When I was looking, I came real close to a Kioti LB1914, but for my limited use couldn't justify the cost. I looked at JD, but he was so bent on selling me $27,000 worth of tractor, that I completely wrote them off.

Marks (DIYGuy) http://www.DIYQuest.com

/ What would YOU get?? #7  
the deere dealer tried to sell me 27000 worth of tractor,, would that be Schmidt by any chance or another one?

/ What would YOU get?? #8  
I'll echo some of the others and say that you'll get recommendations of a specific color from owners of said color and I'll be no different /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

I will try and give you some of the things I did while trying to decide on the tractor I bought.

The most important advice that I can give you is to test drive every brand and model close to the size you finally decide on.

Read everything you can here and don't be afraid to ask more questions.

I knew what size/configuration unit I wanted before I ever talked to any dealer. That way I could compare apples to apples without having the dealer inject their opinions about what I needed, or didn't need.

<font color="blue">Brush cut about 2 acres of heavy brush.
Level, de-rock, and install about 1 acre of lawn.
Install, and maintain a gravel drive.
Move about 3 big piles of dirt to fill a big hole on another part of the land.
And last just normal maintenance on 4 ½ acres of land.
</font>

From the jobs you listed, I would recommend something in the 25 to 35 hp range, with a loader and possibly hydrostatic drive (HST), though shuttle shift would do the job. If you plan to use the tractor to mow the lawn then I would go with HST (of course that's what I have /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) another positive to the HST is that the wife loves to operate it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif and that's always a plus, especially when you need help and there's no-one around.

Good luck with your search.

If you want my specific recommendation just look at my sig /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif (I told you I'd be bias'd)

/ What would YOU get??
Lets narow this down a bit. First you have to know that most of my serching has been for vintage tractors, in the few grand range. But I figure, there is a chance that that budjet will open up a bit. Heres a little more background.....

I can fix almost anything. Most repairs will be done by me.

I realy like gear trans, over HST

Eaven if the budjet opens up, we are probably looking at a newer used.

It does not "need" to mow grass. I have two large garden tractors for that.

I realy think the BX is a little to small. Other then a loader it does not seem to much bigger then what I have.

Does that help any?

/ What would YOU get?? #10  
Now see there, you've done gone and ruined our tractor fantasy. Ain't nothin like spend'n someone elses cash on a new tractor! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But you did ask what WE would get - not what you SHOULD get! That's a horse of a different color! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think the basic numbers still match. Look for a tractor in the 25 to 35HP range with a FEL. My cousin picked up a Ford 3910 for a little over $6k with a FEL and a rotary cutter. Setup was worth $10k or so - he just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Don't forget the super deals on financing new units right now. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif