What's a good sized truck mounted air compressor?

/ What's a good sized truck mounted air compressor?
AlanB said:
What you might consider is running one of the "standard" gas powered compressors like you can get at HD or Lowes, and then if I was doing what you are trying, I would add a "large" (as large as I can fit) air tank for volume.

I would also use a leaf blower to blow out the big debris, then a blower with a 3' extension nozzle to get the detail cleaning done.

I've thought about those standard gas powered compressors before, but how well do they stand up to being stored outside 24/7 and riding around on the back of a truck? Most of the compressors that you can buy at the box stores are made for being stored and operated inside, out of the weather.

****, I've thought about just buying a big *** power invertor and running a standard 120 VAC compressor with it, but that's a band-aid type way of going about it. So I was thinking that a compressor specifically engineered and built for mounting on a truck and being outside in the weather 24/7 would be the best type of compressor to get.

/ What's a good sized truck mounted air compressor? #12  
I was looking at those VMAC compressors online lastnight actually.

Any room to mount it on your mulching unit? Might be an option.

/ What's a good sized truck mounted air compressor? #13  
Gamma, I use a leaf blower for nocking of the big stuff and a 25 gallon 3.5 hp 120v old craftsman compressor to hit the radiator and oil cooler with a 24" nozzle..Seems to really penetrate the core/fins of radiator to rid the fine dust/mulch..all depends on what your mulching I guess...I bring the generator to run the compressor and angle grinder for sharpening my knives...Compressor will also run my 1/2 " impact for repairs/disassembly if needed on cutting head or machine while on the job:D
I also looked at gas powered compressors but i am only weekending it at this point for mulch jobs and just seemed to make sense to use what I already had in the garage instead of plopping out another grand or more for a gas compressor..I gather you are more full time especialy seeing your new interest in the Rayco machine those are nice!

/ What's a good sized truck mounted air compressor?
BTDT said:
I was looking at those VMAC compressors online lastnight actually.

Any room to mount it on your mulching unit? Might be an option.

That's maybe a good idea to mount it on the mulching machine itself. Actually, now that I think of it, I've seen some of the large machines described as having an onboard compressor.

/ What's a good sized truck mounted air compressor? #15  
Gamma said:
ompressor that can operate without the truck engine having to be running at the same time.
I'm not worried about taking up space on my truck bed either

Boy, some people are sure picky! :D Ok, how about a 12 VDC unit with a couple of 120 gallon storage tanks ??? :)

P131484 Image Large Photo

/ What's a good sized truck mounted air compressor? #16  
I think those compressors would hold up fine in the weather, not really much too them.

A small gas engine, and a compressor pump. Might want to do a little something to give the regulator switch a happy home, but I bet it would be just fine, make some form of rack it could "drop" into, so if you had to pull it off to use it you could fairly easily.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

/ What's a good sized truck mounted air compressor? #17  
Before trailering my tractor and brushhog home from some nasty and some just grassy jobs I use the gas powered leaf blower. It only runs a few minutes so the onboard tank is enough. Now the intent of the blowing is not a perfectly clean machine but to blow anything off that might fly off while on the road and it does that very well.

I also use it mid day to blow out radiator and hydrocooler. I have an air compressor at home if needed but find that the leaf blower is sufficient for the kind of junk that will make it into the coolers.