What's the best 12V DC power source for my fueling station?

/ What's the best 12V DC power source for my fueling station? #11  
most people have an old, but useable car battery from something or other laying around. Just put it on a battery charger 2x a year, youll be fine. Leave it by the pump. Use a battery switch or cable clamps to unpower it between uses.

/ What's the best 12V DC power source for my fueling station? #12  
Several good suggestions here so far.
The Anderson connections are very nice and multi-purpose.
An older 12 Volt battery and a solar panel would be nice.
A jump starter box works very well.
Myself I have alligator clips and just use one to a ground, and the other to a starter lead or booster connection or to the battery.
Or my jump starter if I'm pumping some for cleaning or some other use with no handy battery connection.

/ What's the best 12V DC power source for my fueling station?
Great suggestions, all. Thank you large, TBN firiends.

I may incorporate several of them. I needed somebody to get me off the cig lighter thing.

Highest regards,

~Lefty7

/ What's the best 12V DC power source for my fueling station? #14  
I've used a cheap 60 amp Sears battery charger for 20 years. Switch it to "start" (60 amps) and have at it. It's dedicated to the pump so it's hard wired. The charger will kick out when transfering large amounts of full (over 10 gallons) but kicks back in, in a minute or so.

/ What's the best 12V DC power source for my fueling station? #15  
This is what I installed on my tractor. This way you don't have to have a battery on the tank and pump.

Attachments

• IMG_1016[1].JPG
    IMG_1016[1].JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 198

/ What's the best 12V DC power source for my fueling station? #16  
My transfer pump has an Anderson connector and a battery clamp pigtail connected to it. I either clamp to an old battery, or use the Anderson connector to my truck or tractor. Lots of options.

/ What's the best 12V DC power source for my fueling station? #17  
I need to improve the power source for my farm’s diesel fueling station. I need something more reliable.

The 12V DC transfer pump is mounted on an 500 gal. tank outdoors. I currently have just a tractor and ATV requiring diesel, (though this could change), so it doesn’t get used more than once every few months unless it’s growing/tilling season. When I set it up about 10 years ago, I thought the easiest way was to get power from the fueled unit through its cig lighter/DC power port, but this has its problems. Sometimes – especially when I want to fuel them both at the same time - the draw heats up the plug and on occasion pops the inline fuse or even the fuse on the vehicle’s DC port. Then everything comes to a halt while I go fuse hunting. Recently, I suspect it may have even torched the wiring to the ATV's DC port, since I had the dealer tech up the fuse's spec to handle the pump draw. And it seems to vary depending on ambient temperature. I’ve cut down the wire leading to the pump to the minimum needed to reach the vehicle, but it remains an ongoing problem.

The fuel station is within about 20 feet from an inside-accessed AC power outlet, and I’m wondering if some beefy DC power supply would work better; I could run it out to the station only when needed. But after a quick look at these, it seems many are more suited to audio and electronics test bench situations than my ag application.

I am currently renewing all components of the fuel station – pump and motor, hose and nozzle, etc. – and need to get rid of these nagging DC power issues. Trolling for suggestions, wondering what others might be using in a similar setup. Your thoughts on the subject would be welcome. Thank you.

~Lefty7
Others may have already stated something like this, but for me, I just use one of them 12AH sealed batteries like they use in emergency exit lights and a small (12x12ish) 12vdc 20W solar panel that is attached to the side of my barn (no power out there). I believe when I bought everything new on A* it was about $20-30. This little battery goes to two different 13gpm fill-rite pumps that are in IBC tanks filled with fuel. One for red fuel & one for regular. Haven't had any issues filling my truck & tractor at the same time.

I do have to state though, my ibc's are inside so the battery, pumps etc aren't exposed to the elements/sun.

Hope this helps!

I've had this system in place for about 3 or so years and haven't had any issues whatsoever.

/ What's the best 12V DC power source for my fueling station? #18  
I am planning to add a typical 7 wire trailer plug to my tractor and us it and a male 7 wire trailer plug to power my fuel pump.

/ What's the best 12V DC power source for my fueling station? #19  
If you want to connect it to your machines you want something like a

12-801EP Pollak 2-Pole Socket Connector - Vehicle Side​

Cigarette lighter plugs are not designed for continuous use and the wires aren’t either. Otherwise go with a sealed battery and small solar unit like others mentioned.

/ What's the best 12V DC power source for my fueling station? #20  
Many good options mentioned so far if you've got parts laying around and the time to fool with them. If money isn't a problem, IMO, switching to an AC pump is the best option. Over the years, I tried batteries, power supplies and DC connectors but eventually bit the bullet and spent the $$ on a new pump.