Oil & Fuel What's the consensus on hydraulic and Engine oil for the foton 254?

/ What's the consensus on hydraulic and Engine oil for the foton 254? #11  
No I meant doesn't the hydraulic oil not also lubricate the rear differential in the foton 254 or are the compartments separate?

No, the rear part of the tractor under the seat is the hydraulic tank and the bottom part is the differential. The fill plug and the dip stick for hydraulic is behind the seat. The transmission, front drive for 4X4 and rear diff. (3 drain plugs, if I remember) the dip stick and fill plug (same) is at the right of the shifter. Blow air before removing the dip stick/fill to clean the area. The level is with the dip stick UNSCREW on top of transmission and 80W90 flow slowly and it take time for accurate level indication.

On a side note don't forget to change the injection pump oil each time you change the motor oil (15W40 too).

Jacques :)

/ What's the consensus on hydraulic and Engine oil for the foton 254?
No, the rear part of the tractor under the seat is the hydraulic tank and the bottom part is the differential. The fill plug and the dip stick for hydraulic is behind the seat. The transmission, front drive for 4X4 and rear diff. (3 drain plugs, if I remember) the dip stick and fill plug (same) is at the right of the shifter. Blow air before removing the dip stick/fill to clean the area. The level is with the dip stick UNSCREW on top of transmission and 80W90 flow slowly and it take time for accurate level indication.

On a side note don't forget to change the injection pump oil each time you change the motor oil (15W40 too).

Merci Jacques,

Ok so its not a common sump in the rear. Cool I now think I understand. I wish I had to exact operator's manual for my tractor. I took a picture and marked up the rear of my tractor. Is it correct?

Any info on how to change the oil in the injector pump? I'm not finding anything on google.
27zi52v.jpg

/ What's the consensus on hydraulic and Engine oil for the foton 254? #13  
I think you will find the original manual specifies UTF for the gearbox/diff assy..the hydraulics/power steering. Now I am sure China in the most part is not as cold as Canada so I am just quoting the manual and UTF in the hydraulics may be a little thick at your temps. Engine oil from memory was 20w40.
At least one large dealer on this site says they fill the trans/diff with engine oil?

Generally there is a little bolt in the bottom of the IP which drains the oil and a mushroom type cover over the filler. Some IP's have dipsticks for the level.

/ What's the consensus on hydraulic and Engine oil for the foton 254? #14  
Chinese injection pump typically has two drains; one on the end facing the rear, one on the bottom. Open both, remove breather (mushroom thing), drain. Replace bottom plug, add oil from the top until it runs out the end plug. Your choice, but I used 30W non-detergent compressor oil in mine. Replace end plug, replace breather.

//greg//

Thanks Greg, mine has a little dipstick and the oil looks brand new. I saw the drain plugs you talked about.

What are the oil capacities of engine, rear differential and hydraulic?

/ What's the consensus on hydraulic and Engine oil for the foton 254? #16  
Much like the rest of the post I use 15W40 Rotella T for the engine. WalMart 80W90 in the gear box and differentials and AW-32 hydraulic fluid for power steering and main hydraulics. Also Greg mentioned last year about using compressor oil in the injector pump. I have used it since then and no issues. I did try 303 in the power steering and main hydraulics and I "felt" that it was not working as well as AW32. I do not know the differences but I felt my FEL was slower and everything overall didn't work as well as it has with AW32.

Hi,

These tractor are in 60's design, so they don't need sophisticated lubricant.
I buy these lubricant in 20L at Wall-Mart. For engine I use 15W40, 80W90 gear oil for transmission and differential lastly for hydraulic I use AW32.

I live in Sainte-Flavie Qc. This morning it is =18ーc. The tractor is in my small garage, not heated. The tractor start well with a Kat circulator installed but at these temperature the fuel is like jelly, even with an additive and I have to heat the line from tank to the fuel pump with my heat gun until it stay running. I have to begin clearing the snow slowly to let the hydraulic pump to heat a bit and the oil pressure gage to back up from the upper red zone.

Ok I am going to the oil your using. The only thing the shop where I purchased the oil said that in the winter a lot of machine operators are using AW22 hydraulic oil during the winter but I chose AW32 based on your recommendation and experience. The tractor will be in my garage which is not normally heated except when I need to work in it. Garage ambient temps are very rarely below -10c so I think I'll be alright.

Thanks for the help guys

/ What's the consensus on hydraulic and Engine oil for the foton 254? #18  
Ditto on 15W40, 80W90, AW32, Compressor oil in the injector pump. If you have to heat the fuel line you probably have to much moisture in your fuel -- dump it a get some winter grade diesel -- we have been getting a lot of -20 - 25C this year and in previous years and once mine starts it has no issues with fuel. AW32 hydraulic does take some moving of the steering and FEL to get the 3pt moving like it should at those temps.

/ What's the consensus on hydraulic and Engine oil for the foton 254? #19  
Thanks Greg, mine has a little dipstick and the oil looks brand new. I saw the drain plugs you talked about.
Looks can be deceiving, pull the dipstick again - and smell it. The biggest problem with these IPs is diesel fuel contaminating the pump oil. If you smell diesel, drain and replace.

//greg//

ok thanks for all the info :)