What's the gunk in my fuel can?

/ What's the gunk in my fuel can? #1  

ericm979

Tractor
Branson 3725H Deere 5105
The plastic can I use for diesel has this reddish gunk in the bottom. It's a new can this year. The gunk started appearing right away. I treat all my fuel with Stabil diesel formula and for the last couple fillings, a biocide. The gunk looks biological. Any idea what it is and if I should worry? IMG_0343.JPG

/ What's the gunk in my fuel can? #2  
Looks like some kind of mold.

/ What's the gunk in my fuel can? #3  
Let it sit with some biocide in the bottom. Wash it. Dry it. Slosh some more biocide in it and fill er up. Report back at the next fill if it came back.

/ What's the gunk in my fuel can? #4  
Could this be coming from your fuel supplier? It almost looks like rust particles.

/ What's the gunk in my fuel can? #5  
I notice some gunk in the fuel oil I burn in mine as well. I just pour it through a Mr. Funnel and my pre filter stays clean as a whistle.IMG_0600.JPG

/ What's the gunk in my fuel can?
I don't think it's rust or dirt as it's stuck to the can.

I got a Mr Funnel but the filler on the Branson is at an angle. Mr Funnel needs to be level or close to it. I need to make an extension.

I changed the fuel filter at 50 hours (I'm at 65 now and have been using this jug since 5 hours) and it had some fine black material in it, though not a lot and no where near clogged.

/ What's the gunk in my fuel can? #7  
I've seen it before as well. It looks like sediment from your supplier's tank.

DEWFPO

I don't think it's sediment. This stuff doesn't move when I shake the tank with a small amount of liquid in it. Sediment would get sloshed around.

/ What's the gunk in my fuel can? #9  
I don't think it's sediment. This stuff doesn't move when I shake the tank with a small amount of liquid in it. Sediment would get sloshed around.

Get a paint stirrer and drag some of that stuff out, and get a closer look at it. May wanna show it to your fuel supplier.

Let it sit with some biocide in the bottom. Wash it.

Did that, took it all out. It's definitely not rust.

I've been getting fuel from three different local gas stations and they may not be selling a lot of diesel.

I only started using biocide recently, the diesel Stabil was supposed to take care of it. I'll be using it for the future and keeping track of what the fuel looks like from different stations.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

1074 40 JOHN DEERE MANURE SPREADER W/540 PTO (A34733)
1074 40 JOHN DEERE...
1980 WW 30' TRIAXLE GOOSENECK FLATBED TRAILER, S/N 084116, 25' DECK, 5' DOVE W/ RAMPS, (NO FLOOR)... (A34808)
1980 WW 30'...
1056 8300 JOHN DEERE GRAIN DRILL (A34733)
1056 8300 JOHN...
New 8' Office Container (A34302)
New 8' Office...
2474 JOHN DEERE 10 BOLT DUALS W/HUBS (A34733)
2474 JOHN DEERE 10...
NEW 2 CUBIC YARD SELF DUMPING HOPPER SCRAP RECYCLING EQUIPMENT 4,000lb capacity. (A34907)
NEW 2 CUBIC YARD...